Tuesday, September 14, 2010

This Amazing Life & It's Moments of Joy


I continue to be amazed every single day. And I find that it's a very good thing. It opens up new possibilities that I might never have considered, allows me to meet new people; make new friends, try new things, continue with old things, visit with "old" friends, re-experience "old" things. It's just amazing these days what the Lord gives me. I have a free "bank" each day that the Lord gives. I make the choice how to spend those days. I can basically do anything I want to with that day. Actually I'm down to how I spend each moment because basically, that's all I have at any given time; the moment I'm in. Let me tell you, I'm learning to spend these moments wisely. I'm learning to relish each conversation, to be aware and pay closer attention when having a conversation. You know what, you can learn a lot when you listen. People in general are very interesting. I hate to think of the things I could have learned in my very early years if I had but listened. I'm looking for something new each day. Something I hear, something I see...doesn't matter. I just don't want to miss any more moments and I want them all to mean something. They'll all mean something...because I want them to. Well, so much for that bunny trail.

Okay, so I started this blog yesterday and I'll probably ramble along for awhile in the midst of life events. Back to how I'm learning to live within the moment...well, some of those can literally come up and "bite me in the butt", and I do mean literally! Have you ever been in the bathroom, have the toilet seat slip and pinch you? Let me tell you, that's what you call living in the moment. You actually have several options: sit still and and scream bloody murder. In doing so you take the chance of having someone come flying in to find you with your drawers down and try to help not knowing what the problem is. Now there's a moment you wouldn't want to miss! Or, you can sit there, hold your breath which at this point isn't really a problem because the pain has already taken away your breath. But, you involuntarily catch yourself screaming under your breath that isn't there, your your blood pressure goes sky high, you pass out, fall off the seat, but, problem solved; aside from the four inch blood blister that magically appears on your under side. Or, you could scream, jump up, trip on the mat, land in the tub on your head and laugh hysterically. Probably not your best choice, but hey, it's your moment! We all have them, these things called moments. Good, bad or indifferent, find the joy in the moment. You think that once that pinching moment is over you're not going to be joyful? Take it from me. Getting up off that toilet seat that's pinching your underside is probably going to be one of the best moments of joy you'll ever experience!

Another of my moments of joy come from my friends and family. I would imagine that they think these acts of kindness they do or say don't really have that great an impact. But, they really do. Dozens of people check on me every single day at work. One surprised me one day with a beautiful bouquet of flowers from her garden. One brought me a beautiful bracelet she had made. Many friends call me almost every day to see how I'm doing and say hi. I love that people drop by on their way to somewhere and say hi. Hugs are great too. Smiles are wonderful. One friend surprises me with little thoughts and messages in my mail at work. Just a little post-it-note with a special thought. I'd like to share the poem with you that I received today. This I will always hold and share.

JUST FOR TODAY

Thy strength, oh Lord, just for this day
I pray You will impart.
For me again renew my faith
As this new day I start.

Reach out to me and keep Thy hand
On everything I do.
Direct my path to things undone
And guide to paths anew.

Give me the patience that I need
To do for others now
The things that You would have me do
And kindly show me how.

Through doubts and fears and heavy loads
I struggle on my way.
Yet through the rugged path I know
That You are near today.

You steer my feet and lift my heart
And make the light to shine
Then all my troubles, aches, and pains
I gladly leave behind. AMEN

I consider my life totally amazing. I consider the fact that the Lord loves me enough that He gave His only Son to die a horrible death for me amazing. When I consider He would have done it even if I had been the only person in the world, I think that's pretty amazing. I have an only son and when I think about giving him up to die for everyone, sorry, I love you all a bunch but I'm not willing to go that one.

In thinking about my Son I try to think in terms, not that God is taking him, but that God needs him and has a greater purpose for him. In my particular faith, something parents commonly do is "dedicate" their child to the Lord when the child is very young. I can't speak for everyone else, even for Ray, but for me, what that meant was saying to God, "I consecrate this child to you and will teach him and train him according to your word. He is your child. I will love him, protect him, care for him, teach and train him". Never in my wildest dreams did I think that part of God's plan would be to call him "home" at such an early age. No parent things about that. Right?

I know you might think this really amazing and not true, but there really are time when I just can't have a conversation. Telephone calls are the most difficult right now. It's as though it takes so much energy and I just can't. Please don't think that I don't love you and please don't give up calling. If I don't call you back it's most like because I haven't checked messages. I'm very forgetful right now. If you don't get a call back send me an email via Facebook or at jan@auntiejan.net and tell me to check my messages. I love Facebok. I can stay in constant contact with friends and family, be in the conversation, comment and "run", following the comings and goings. It's great. Thank you all so much for making me a part of your lives. I love you all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it all Mom. Keep typing.

Anonymous said...

me too- you are.... PERFECTLY YOU- and I love love love you