Sunday, August 19, 2012

We're here in moose country

Good morning son! How are you? It's a beautiful Sunday morning here in Maine. We've been visiting with Uncle Bill and Aunt Nancy since last Wednesday evening. It's been absolutely awesome. The weather has cooperated beautifully. The lake is absolutely gorgeous. Even the rain has provided the opportunity to put up our feet on the sun porch and read and nap. Well, actually, finding a place or excuse to nap since we have been here has been no problem at all. 

You've finally gotten your wish. At lease one of them anyway. Your mother is using a Mac this morning! Both Uncle Bill and Aunt Nancy use Mac's. I didn't bring my laptop with me so I borrowed Uncle Bill's computer this morning for our conversation. The biggest problem was trying to remember my password. I had just changed it before we left to come up here. I finally ended up just changing it again. It was easier than wasting half the morning trying to remember what I had changed it to.

This has been such a relaxing time for both dad and me.We've all had a wonderful time together. The house is much cooler than outside so we've usually had a fire going. It's been really quite nice. It takes the chill out of the air and just gives comfort to the atmosphere.

We all went to Stone Mountain the other night and enjoyed a scrumptious dinner and very lively music by:
Shemekia Copeland Supporting a new album, this blues powerhouse will be back to shimmy, shimmy SMAC this summer! Shemekia Copeland was only 19 when she released her first album, "Turn the Heat Up," in 1998, but her killer voice and sassy attitude had people calling her the new Queen of the Blues from the beginning. Now she 's a major force to be reckoned with! A quick sell out for this gal and her awesome band!!
 
Her band is totally awesome. When that band cut off it was as though a knife was slicing through butter. Dad and I had never seen anything like it and we've seen a lot of bands in our day. 
 
The lake is beautiful and warm here. Nancy distance swims every day. I did intent to bring my suit but forgot it. No, I really did forget it! It was really crazy the last couple of days getting ready and I intended to get it and just totally forgot. I was packing the morning right before we left and just didn't think of it. I know, I'm usually packed a day ahead but it just didn't work out that way this time. 
 
We had a wonderful trip up here. There was so much to see and it was such a relaxing trip. Jamison stayed at home and Tanya and Bogie came over to stay with him while we're here. We sure do miss him. Dad really misses their daily walks but we know he's having a good time with Tanya and Bogie.
 
Let's see, what else have we done while here. Yesterday we went to a Artisan Fair in Center Lovell and saw some beautiful craftsmanship of all types: pottery, quilts, fused glass, wood, screen printing, rock crafts...you name it and they had it. We went early and it was a good thing because by the time we left at a little before 11:00 am people were parking as far up the road as we could see. We came back to the house and dad and I read and napped; Bill and Nancy ran some errands and went back to the fair to help some friends break down their jewelry display and get it home. Your Uncle Bill dropped by the fire station and picked up some bar-b-que chicken and about 5:15 pm some of their local friends dropped by and we had chicken dinner and visited. It was a great day and evening. After everyone left, about 8:00 pm, we cleaned things up and Dad and I hit the beds and read (we've been doing a lot of reading while we've been here) and Bill and Nancy settled in to watch another episode of The Abby. Dad and I decided we'd like to watch the series so we didn't want to get started in the middle.

We continue to look for moose but haven't seen anything yet. It's a very slim chance but would be great to see one up close and personal. Well, maybe not THAT close!

I bet everyone is wondering where we've been this week. I haven't checked email or Face book since we've been here. I thought about having our conversation later in the week but I just didn't want to put it off. I've met quite a few bloggers since we've been here and it will be great to check out their blogs when I get home and keep up with what's happening in their lives and get a different perspective on blogging.

There was a very interesting discussing at the table last night around churches and religion and some politics. I love it when I have the opportunity to hear other people's perspectives on religion, God and politics. I'm not as near well read as most but I do know what I believe and I enjoy hearing what other's believe and how they have come to the conclusions around their choices. It also peaked my interest in politics enough that I really want to get better informed about this election and the proposals and promises from both sides. Having worked in a local government for years I kept well informed but now that I have been retired and so strongly focused on other areas these last few years I'm realizing that I'm quite out of the loop and for the first time in a long time have the desire to get somewhat more involved in knowing more. I'm really behind in this ball game right now so I need to get caught up. Your Uncle Bill picks up all the local papers every day and it's been interesting to read the newspaper again. We usually just pick up the Sunday paper and catch up. Dad checks out the news on the computer, but there's just something about sitting down and reading the paper and discussing it that brings another whole element to the day. Guess we'd better order the paper when we get home.

Being here had encouraged me to begin reading again. I bought three books at the Library Book Sale yesterday. I've started reading Smoke Jumper that is written by the same author of Horse Whisperer, Nicholas Evans. I haven't had the interest in reading in quite some time. Mostly, because I've not been able to concentrate and I catch myself reading the same paragraph over and over again. However, for some reason, being here lends itself to reading. Although I must admit, it also lends itself to napping!

I realized too last night that dad and I have somewhat isolated our
selves from the "outside" world. I don't see myself as an introvert but I have somewhat become one. We both have become homebodies and don't force ourselves at all into the outside world. We need to! If you were here you would be all over us. I don't want to become one of those people who have have tons of friends on Face book and live vicariously through just those relationships. I want to be out living life. We need to do more of that. 
 
Let's see, what else have a learned about myself this week? I want to spend more time in my studio doing my work. As I was reading a couple of magazines this week I came across a new process I believe I can easily incorporate into my signs. I'm very anxious to get home and try it out. I also came across a new style of handwriting. It actually looks as though it's been done with a quill pen but I think I can get the same effect with a fountain pen or possibly even a "Sharpie"! Now wouldn't that be something! I new that would wake you up and get your attention! 

It's been really good this week to have time to think and reflect. Believe it or not, as much as we like being homebodies, out lives are very full and busy. It's been great to have some time to read. I had forgotten how nice it is just to sit in the sun on the sun porch and read. I hope our landlord get's our porch rebuilt before the summer and autumn are gone so I can do some more of that before the seasons are gone. I'd love to be able to sit on the porch and have my Sunday conversations with you there.
 
Again, I'm on a Mac today....so, no pictures! It's all the Mac's fault!

You know that I miss you...always, but as I sit here in the sunshine and the bright Sunday morning, my heart longs for your laughter.

Until next week, be Aaron, love mom





 


No comments: