Sunday, October 14, 2012

Relishing the little things


Good morning son. As I look out the living room window this morning, past Jamison and the birds that are enjoying their morning feast, I see one tiny spot of orange among the green leaves of the trees in our yard. Our trees seem to be some of the last to loose their "Spring green" and ripen to the colors of Fall. I've been waiting patiently. Well, it's not really like I've had any choice. it's not like I can squeeze my eyes shut, twitch my nose and make things happen. I know, shock of all shocks, you always thought I could. It's kind of like those "eyes in the back of my head". You really didn't believe it but there were times when you weren't quite sure. 

Our view from "Aaron's Rock"
Dad, Jamison and I took our trip this week to see the transformation in the foliage on Rte 9 and up into Lake George and Queensbury. It was our first trip to the area and we had a great time. We didn't realize that for the most part, Lake George is closed for the season. But we enjoyed the ride and the colors we did see. The interesting thing to me was that as we took the exit to re-enter Troy the color was brilliant. I suddenly realized we were surrounded by more color than we had seen the entire day. It was all around us if we had just looked. Sometimes we miss what is right in front of us because we're always looking for something we don't have. I personally am finding that I am very much enjoying what dad and I have. That doesn't mean I don't dream. Dad panics when he asks me what my "dreams" are and I say I don't have any. I always have dreams but the trouble begins when you dream so much you miss what is already in your life.

Okay, so what's happening where you are? I don't imagine there are many changes in colors. I mean who would want to change colors when you're living with jewel-tones from actual gems. Or, the shimmer and shine that comes from all the light bouncing from the gold or silver. Or the glistening light as it slides across the pearly gates. I mean really. Tell me though. We talk a lot about heaven here on earth. Do you even notice the gems, gold, silver and pearly gates? I would doubt it. I think you're probably so busy with the things of the Lord you really don't notice. It's kind of hard to imagine that you are surrounded by those things and don't notice but then again, I'm reasoning with a worldly mind and heart so I can really only imagine worldly things. But, while I'm still here on this earth, and dreaming, I'm also enjoying. 

It's been great this last couple of months here at home just enjoying doing the things that a lot of people will probably consider drudgery. I'm finding real joy in cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, vacuuming, dusting and especially sweeping off our new front porch. It really is true, for me anyway, that I truly find joy in "the little things". I've waited a long time to be able to get up in the morning and spend my day doing what I want to do. For instance. The cost of groceries have just gone out of sight. Dad and I knew we had to figure out a way to eat right but not spend a fortune. It would be great if we could live on potatoes, beans and cornbread. But because of the way dad needs to eat in order to stay healthy, that's not possible. Years ago I found this site on line, Cooks.Com. It's an amazing wealth of recipes from thousands of great, "everyday cooks". Sometimes the recipes have been passed down, sometimes they're originals created by the author. Because of diabetes dad is very careful with his sugar and carbohydrate intake, just as you were. But, he has developed an affinity for the new Fig Newton, Lemon Crisp Cookies. I can't keep them in the house. Yesterday I found a recipe on Cooks.Com for Lemon Cookies made with real lemon juice and rind. He loves them. Thought I'd share it.

LEMON PUDDING COOKIES
Printed from COOKS.COM

1 c. Bisquick baking mix
1 pkg. (3 3/4 oz.) lemon instant pudding (dry)
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 egg
Sugar
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients until dough forms a ball. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten each to 1/4 inch thickness with bottom of glass dipped in sugar. Bake until edges are delicate brown, about 8 minutes; cool. Frost with Lemon Butter Frosting (below), if desired. Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.
 
LEMON BUTTER FROSTING:
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
3 tbsp. butter, softened
1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
1-2 tbsp. lemon juice
1-2 drops yellow food color
Mix powdered sugar and butter. Stir in lemon peel, lemon juice and food color; beat until frosting is of spreading consistency.
 
Note: I mixed the frosting to "drizzle" consistency and just added a taste.

The other thing that we're eating a lot of is oatmeal. I use to make it with grated apple, cinnamon, and nuts for you and you loved it. I tried it for dad and it was the same success. I found this recipe for oatmeal in Reader's Digest the other day and it is yummy. It keeps and reheats wonderfully.

 
 I'm in the middle of making a quilt for Cole (fire trucks, police cars and ambulances), Megan and Clay's third. I have to get it done before the next one comes along in April! No, I don't know how I got behind. It's a good thing she said something or the poor little guy would have been the only one without one. 
 
Today I'm going to try something new. I want to paint the cabinet dad built years ago a deep rose. I have some deep red and white paint and I'm going to see if I can mix it, a little at a time, and see if I can't get it the color I want. What can it hurt. I bought the paint at Habitat for $4/gallon so I really have nothing to loose.
 
The Lord continues to be good to us as always. Dad and I love and appreciate our home. We appreciate the little things more than ever. For instance, lemon cookies.
 
Until next week, be Aaron, love mom













No comments: