Sunday, July 28, 2013

God's Gift to Me

Love this picture! It's all Aaron!
Good morning son! It's your type of weather here this morning: rain! Since dad and I have planned a quiet day today it's a perfect day for it. But, enough of that. Who wants to call heaven and talk about the weather? Maybe it's because of the beautiful day and it's raining I'm missing you more today. I woke up listening to the rain and thinking about you. Not that it takes rain for me to wake up thinking about you. Dad and I still have those brief moments when we see something and think, "I can't wait to tell Aaron, he'd love that", and then immediately realize, you already know it! You will forever be in our hearts and minds and that's the way we want it. But, as time goes along you not being here pain that will always be with us and yet the sharpness of it is fading to something we gladly carry and no longer fight.

I've been thinking about grand-children a lot lately. I think that's something people my age, however old that may be, think they will have in their lifetime. I don't think I ever thought about the possibility of not having grandchildren close by. I just always made the assumption that our daily lives would be full of grand kids because that's what we dreamed of; grand kids to read to, spend the night, spoil, bake with, celebrate with and love on. I wonder if that's true of everyone? I've always assumed that it was. I loved my grand parents so very much. I was so very lucky to have them around my entire childhood. Grandma and Grandpa Bothwell always lived next door and Mamaw and Papaw Coffman just lived five miles away in town. I spent hours with
Hey, a 2fer one!
all of them and loved being with them. I have so many great memories and I couldn't wait to make those memories with my own grand kids. God didn't see fit for that to be. I don't know why. I could tell you that it never bothers me but that would be a lie. There are times when I see my sisters and brothers and others with their grand kids that I still ask the Lord why. It's a foolish and selfish question. I'm feeling sorry for myself because they live so far away and before you even had the opportunity to have a child  God took you home. You should be the one upset. And yet I know you are not. God had a plan for you and whether either of us like it, you accepted it with grace and dignity. Have I told you lately how proud I am of you?  As for the distance between our grand kids and great grand kids, I have to leave that in God's hands. Only He has the answer.



BUT, yest I know, there's always a but! Knock it off, not butt. I think somehow you and Josie have linked. Sometimes the things that come out of that girls mouth. Anyway, what I want to say is that although life doesn't give us what we think we have to have God always gives us what is best and what we need...and sometimes, what we want. What is it that your grandma always says, "It's not your needs in life that get you in trouble, it's your wants and desires". Such a wise woman she is.  Anyhoo, while God's working on the grand kids thing He has provided me, us actually, with some of the most awesome nieces, nephews, and great nieces and nephews. The family has multiplied exponentially over the years. We are so very fortunate. God is good. As I've told you previously, well, you actually knew before I did, we have two new ones in California, Miles and Georgia. We haven't met them yet but we're trusting God and his timing. In the meantime we're staying connected with the families via Facebook and email and see pictures often. I don't care what anyone says, when you retire, time speeds up! I simply cannot believe that Allegra and Hannah have graduated from high school, Sierra will graduate next May, Josie will be six in January, and Corey will be __ in August. (Just had to put that in there to see if she's awake.) I'd put the actual age but I'm to far
Oh Corey!! Are you listening!!
away from my mom to protect me and dad would be laughing to hard. They all have always brought great joy to our lives. Dad in reading to them and singing silly made up songs to them like he use to do for you. Me, I just loved being with them and doing whatever they wanted to do at the moment. Now-a-days it's a little more difficult and I can't get down on the floor to play games with Josie but she understands and so we pull out the ottoman or pull up the coffee table and do them just the same. She's a competitive little bugger I mean to tell you!  We haven't been able to spend much time with Renee and her family but the time will come and we're both looking forward to it. 


Children are such amazing gifts from God. It's so amazing that He trusts us adults with them. Sometimes I think the kids have more common sense than the adults. As I get older I enjoy the times when I'm able to sit back and just watch the action and interaction. They are so clever and smart. I don't know what I would do if I had to help them with homework. It was tough enough trying to stay ahead of what you were learning and doing. But it's fun watching them be kids.

We've been here in Troy two years now and slowly but surely we're beginning to make contact with the Jamison side of the family. I've waited 42 years to be close enough to get to know this side of the family. Talk about nieces and nephews! The nieces and nephews dad remembers chancing their diapers now are changing their grand kids diapers. We've a lot of catching up to do. I will admit that when we first arrived two years ago I wanted it all to happen at once and now! God's wisdom is always best and in this case, again, it's working out in His timeline and plan. I just pray that God helps me stick to the plan.

My dreams of seeing all the places I want to see in the United States are still dreams. If they're suppose to happen they will. My longing to see all of them is just as clear and strong as they have been since I was very little and dreamed of seeing them: the Statue of Liberty, Lincoln Memorial, Ellis Island, Liberty Bell. They may be a child's dreams in the body of an old lady now but they're still my dreams and I'm the child of a King that owns the cattle on a thousand hills so it's all still possible.


It's been a super great week, full of laughter and joy, even though I just about worked dad's butt off. What little he has left any way! LOL. The guest room ready for visitors although I still have tons of decorating I still want to do. I promised you a status picture so here it is. The dresser dad and I found a couple of years ago for $35. It's been in the storage room and I pulled it out, cleaned it up and added paint.

Still needs the red shutter headboard
Until next week, be Aaron, love mom


 

No comments: