Sunday, December 18, 2011

If you don't like something change it;

Remind you of anything????


 if you can't change it — change the way you think about it. — Mary Engelbreit

Good morning son! We're seven days of your favorite day of the year; Christmas.  This last six months has moved so quickly it's actually been a blur. Dad and I were talking last night as we finished the last of the decorations, with the exception of the Christmas tree that will go up today, that in 41 years of marriage this is the latest we have ever put up decorations.  The earliest was the year in Oakdale when he and grandpa put up over 10,000 lights in the front yard and we put up the Christmas Village in the window on two 4x8 sheets of plywood for a base.  We started decorating that year on November 1 and just barely got it all done.  What a decorating blitz that was.  We all had such fun. Grandma and I baked so much we didn't think there was any sugar or flour remaining in all of Stanislaus County!  We had such a wonderful time at our open house that year as the neighbors brought their children and grandchildren to have pictures taken with Santa, enjoy some hot spiced cider and the wonderful baked goodies.  I hope we can do that again some day....minus the 10,000 lights!

It's been a fairly quiet week...for here!  The chickens have finally started laying eggs!  One or two each day.  I don't know what that chicken is doing on the days there's only one.  Such a slacker!  They ARE beautiful large brown eggs though so I guess that makes up for something.


Jamo and Josie blowing out his candles
Did I forget to tell you it was Jamo's birthday on the 10th.  We celebrated as always with family, cake and ice cream.  He got a metal detector! He was thrilled. He got it all put together and then realized it needed two 9v batteries.  He was so disappointed.  Jon to the rescue.  In a flash he was in the car, down to Stewart's and back with the batteries.  He's so awesome! 


I helped with a project for a couple of days at KJCG.  I was suppose to go back on Friday for another project. But, we were running late Thursday after I got off work and so we stopped at a fast-food place for a couple of hamburgers.  I saved a few bites for Jamison as a treat.  Well, those hamburgers treated us all...if you know what I mean. By that evening we were all fighting for the facilities.  What a time. Not only that, but Jamison was up at least six times a night Thursday and Friday nights.  What a mess.  19 degrees and I'm outside with a sick dog. I felt so badly for Jamison.  Poor little guy. Dad did pretty well and I settled down pretty well yesterday.  We won't be eating at that fast food place again!  Jamison didn't even ask to go on his walk yesterday.  That was absolutely a first. At 3:20 pm every day he's right at dad's feet yapping and telling him it's time to walk.


Miss Santa! Hope she's not ordering on Amazon!
Last Monday night I went with Corey and Josie to Josie's first dance lesson; tap and ballet.  She's a natural...and so cute.  She asked to take lessons but when I went to pick her up that night she was crying and said she didn't want to go. Diane and I talked her into at least going for a ride to the office to see mom. She and I sang Christmas music on the ride and she was starting to smile by the time we got to the office.  She had a great time at dance class and now wants to know why she can't go every night! No rest for the wicked here!!


Since the weather is changing and it's getting a little darker and colder Jamison has taken to spending most of his time, when he's not following one of us around the house, sitting on the back of the couch behind me and looking out the window.  He's so cute there and loves being able to look out and see what's happening in his neck of the woods.  We had some sputtering of snow yesterday.  It was very light but you could see it.  We have snow predicted for Wednesday and Friday.  We just might end up having a white Christmas after all.


It feels like something is changing.  I'm finding it difficult to have this conversation with you today.  It's almost as though your voice is getting fainter.  Not that you are, just the part of hearing you in my head.  Boy, a statement like that could raise some concerns from folks now couldn't it?  You know what I mean.  I have a super great fear of forgetting what your hugs felt like, of what it was like to hear you laugh, of not missing you enough and of you disappearing from every one's memories. All my life I had heard how fragile life is but I had never really experienced it like this.  It's still hard to imagine that you were here 38 years and then the next minute you're gone. How can that be so I keep asking myself. How can someone be so living, laughing, loving one minute and the next minute they just aren't anymore.  Well, enough of that sad sap stuff.  I've shed my tears for the day, no, I don't cry every day!  The tears catch me at the most odd times over some of the simplest or stupid things. Things that just catch me off guard at the weirdest times.  I love you son. Life will never be the same without you, BUT, life will be and dad and I will not waste it.  I promise!











1 comment:

Sarah DePover said...

Jan, I absolutely love reading your blogs! I think of Aaron, Kristin and you and Ray often and I've never met any of you personally. I first heard of Aaron's story on a local radio show ( in Iowa) and it made me want to know more. I looked him up on Facebook last year and have been friends with him ever since. I know the Lord brought us together. I have a plaque in my room that says "Your story matters". Thank you for continuing to share your story with me and all of us.
Sarah