Sunday, January 22, 2012

Joy Is in the Living

A new morning; a new day! Good morning son. I've missed my Sunday morning conversations with you.  For some reason I got it in my head that you had better things to do than to talk with me on Sunday morning.  I know you're busy, but, if time doesn't exist in heaven then there is no way I can "disrupt your day".  So, look out, I'm back. You already knew I'd be back didn't you? It's better for me to blog my conversations than have them in my head. Which by the way, I do all the time.  

It's Sunday and what is also fast becoming my favorite day of the week.  It's a time of quiet reflection of and writing with times of chatting with dad in-between.  How are you doing? Perfect, I know!  I can't even imagine how that would be, to feel perfect and be perfect. Quite an awesome feeling I would imagine.  I mean, no cell phones and yet you have perfect communication.  No dropped phone calls, no problems hearing, no noise as the phone alerts you to text messages, emails and calls you've missed.  Perfect weather always! It's 3 degrees here this morning.  But, we have the privilege of enjoying a beautiful warm and comfortable home. It's perfect for us.  I bet when we get to heaven we're going to have a great time laughing about what we consider what is perfect here based on what is really perfect there.  As always in life, everything is relative. What do people do who have to live in their cars?  I think back to the years we lived in Blue River OR.  The snow high on the ground, freezing weather and rain and hundreds of people homeless and living in the mountains.  It was difficult to keep our home warm with the wood stove.  How on earth do people survive living in a tent with a sleeping bag.  Not only that, but as they would get on the bus at 6:00am with me as we caught headed into town, an hour away, they had to bring everything they owned with them or it would be gone when they got back "home". 

We are so privileged, dad and I. God just continues to work in our lives and continues to amaze us.  I wonder, why are we continually amazed? He is God after all.  Amazed I guess, because of all the people in the world He has the time and makes the time to help us.  He again "came through" this week and provided me with regular hours at work. You already knew that didn't you?  Well, you could have given me a hint and taken away some of the anxiety. Anyway, how amazing is that! And get this, talk about perfect hours, M-F 9:30am - 1:30pm.  I mean how could it get better than that!  When I retired from the The City of Springfield my intent was to be through with working a regular job.  And, I didn't think I would ever find another "perfect" job with another team of people who I loved working with as much as the HR team. But, as the saying goes, "life is what happens as we make plans", or something like that.  You get the message. If anyone understands this, it's you. 

I will say, having not worked at a regular job for 10 months it's a little more difficult working 7-8 hours a day. Last week I helped a couple of days in the MOC (Materials Operation Center) putting together binders for a client.  It's been a long, long time since I've done the "ring around the rosie" putting weekly binders together in City Manager's Office. Basically it's the same idea except there's no "ring around the rosie it's standing in place and inserting the items in the binders. The best thing about the whole process is the team working together.  They work much faster than your mom, but we get the job done.  You'd have to see this process to really appreciate it. MOC is the hub of making sure that all materials are on site in time for sessions, all over the world, and that everything is correct.  Not only do I get to work on different projects, which I love, but I believe in what we're doing; teaching people and companies and the people in those companies how to be inclusive. Being inclusive is so much bigger than most know it to be. There is such a feeling of accomplishment to have even a tiny part in getting the message out.  


I finished the birthday gift for Josie. I know, you already know. You've watched me carry that doll crib around no matter where I've been, for the last two years.  I bought it to finish for her 2nd birthday.  She'll be four this Wednesday.  Better late than never. I started to do it in pink and pearls and then got to thinking about who I was doing it for and decided it needed to be a little "sassier" so I stepped it up and added black into the mix.  I think it came out perfect.  I also made a "feather mattress" for it rather than a foam one and finished the blanket and pillow yesterday.  I'm three days ahead of schedule.  I had my doubts since I lost about 10 hours of studio time last week. I made up for it yesterday though.  You know me, it's not like it's a chore for me to spend time in the studio. I'd live in there if I thought I could get by with it!  Doll Crib


This afternoon I'm going to start on a doll cradle I've been carrying around.  I haven't really imagined it in my mind yet but I'm sure it will end up white with pearls or pink with pearls.  Most likely a white cradle and cream pearls.

I'm back.  Oops! Did I forget to tell you I was leaving?  Sorry.  Corey called and a group of us to Starbucks for a coffee and a visit:  Corey, Jinny (from Singapore), Chelly, Sierra and me.  Then we picked up the kids at Hebrew School.  Josie decided she wanted to stay at our house when they stopped to drop me off. Corey told her she could stay for a short time because she needed to come back home and tell Jinny goodbye before she left this afternoon.  Josie said, "I have an idea. How about if I tell Jinny goodbye before I stay at Aunt Jan's and then I can just stay at Aunt Jan's". Corey said, "but that would mean you'd have to say goodbye to Jinny right now".  Immediately, and I mean before Corey could get the sentence out of her mouth, Josie turned to Jinny, waved and said, "goodbye Jinny".  Yes, we all laughed.  Man she's quick.  Then it dawned on me I'd better really move before she got out of the car.  The crib was sitting on the dining room table as you come in the front door.  I made a mad dash, moved the crib to my studio as she and Josh came into the house.  Josh had heard uncle was going to watch the Patriot game today so he decided he wanted to stay too.  We made and had lunch and are watching Phineas and Ferb. Well, I should say that's what we started with.  Then Josh played some Wii, until Corey called and said, "oops, Josh has soccer practice.  I'll be there in 10 minutes to get him".  So then, as Josie tried everything in the world to keep from falling asleep, we watched pieces of "Tangled", "Bratz", uncle read a couple of books, and we did "dress-up". Corey just picked her up and as always, she didn't want to go so we "arranged" for dad and mom to go on their date night Friday night so she can come here.  Works for dad and me.

It's been difficult for Jamison so far this winter season.  When it's in the teens and below dad just doesn't feel good about taking Jamison out for his walk. Plus, he doesn't like the booties and his feet just get freezing.  We'll have to find a solution. Dad says it's probably going to be him playing inside games with him but for Jamison it's just not the same thing.  He loves being outside. Dad took him for a short walk yesterday in the parking lot when we picked up groceries but it was 9 degrees and Jamison's feet just gave out on him. At one point dad ended up picking him up and carrying him because he got a piece of ice in his paw. Poor little guy. Last night he got cold here in the living room so I put the heating pad on low and put it under his blanket. He like that! 


The Troy 9 & Uncle Tom & Aunt Renee
Sierra has her driver's permit and she's doing really well.  I don't know who's more excited, all of us, or her. She's so beautiful and talented son.  You would be so proud of her. Keep your eyes peeled because one of these days you're gunna see her name up in lights! Right now it's school and no play practice. I don't imagine that will last for long.  The "B" boys are great. Jamo, and Josh are great too.  Everyone is beginning the new year doing well and I have no doubt that will continue.  The chickens are well.  They have a heated chicken coop and water with heat to keep it from freezing.  They're giving up about 10 eggs a day.  That's about 300 a month!  That more than even the Troy 9 can keep up with so friends and family are benefiting the reward too. Good thing we all like eggs!

Allegra, Alexis & Arianna
 I guess I never realized how quickly kids grow up. In just the last couple of years I can't believe the difference in all of the kids. Time passes so quickly.  It seems like it was just a short while ago that Allegra, Arianna and Alexis were tiny little things. Allegra will be 18 years old this year.  Where does the time go.



The Taylor's



Well son, it's been a good week. Dad and I have realized we don't have to hurry things, God ALWAYS come through, we're suffering from less anxiety and beginning to enjoy life againSoon we'll have the tests and results from dad's visit to the ICU last week then I'll start working on my leg and knee. All is well and good.

I'm very much looking forward to friends and family coming to visit this year.  BUT, in order for them to do that I have to get the guest room ready. AND, in order to do that I have to get the remaining Christmas stuff put away. Why on earth does it take me so long to get that stuff done anymore.  Probably cause I'd rather be playing in my studio than cleaning house!


Until next week, Choosing Joy as I'm striving for perfection, love mom


No comments: