Sunday, February 19, 2012

Remembering


God's Plan
July 1998
by: Jan Jamison

The room stands empty now
It's walls are void and bare
But the silence speaks so loudly
Of the son no longer there.

The floor and bed are littered
With the items left behind
The things you have decided
Could be sent another time

The dresser strewn with objects
Thought so important way back then
But you're off to another adventure
With the holiest maker of men.

This isn't the first departure
Your first one years ago
And it won't be the last one
As God teaches you to grow

The partings are never easy
Doesn't matter how old you get
It hurts the same each time we say
"We're mom and Dad don't forget"!

The Lord has promised many things
We've taught you that as well
You know the Lord
Know right from wrong
You're off! God's story you will tell.

We've wondered often through the years
Just what God has in mind
We walked through trials and troubles
We've bailed, we've whaled, we've whined.
We've cuddled and we've nurtured
We've encouraged and disciplined
And all the while we wondered
"What God would do with him".
God promised..."train a child"
He will return to this
We've tried to leave it up to God
As we borrowed, begged and fixed.
We've finally come to realize
Not in our time--but His
We see God's plan is working
No matter where you live.
It isn't easy to see you go
It really never will be
The leaving of the son
Once bounced upon your knee.
You'r journey might be a long one
A hard one--but always joyous
Because we know you're on the path
Of God's chosen, singing chorus.
The many year have been worth
The time, the joy, the tears
They've brought us 'round to this
The stilling of our fears.
You're off on God's great adventure
You'll make it sure this time
You're in God plan
You are God's man
And all that God defined.
 This coming Friday, February 24th would have been your 39th birthday. Just recently I came across this poem I had written while we were living in Oakdale CA. At one point you decided you wanted to go back to Oregon. I can still feel the knot in my stomach at the thought of you leaving.  It was always so comfortable to have you close and know that you were safe.  It was a very good thing that I didn't know what the future held.  What amazed me about this poem was my inclusion of the joy.  Who would have know that joy would play such an amazing part in your life story.

We had a very simple definition of joy in our home and you lived your life by it.  JOY = Jesus, Others, You. You practiced this throughout your entire life. You were a great example. Whether intended or not, this is the way you lived your life; sometimes to your own detriment. You had a loving and kind heart. Your intent was always for the betterment of others.  You never missed an opportunity to tell someone about your walk with the Lord and to encourage them. Dad and I were always so proud of you.  Even in death, your first thought was for others.  I know that some of the things you put yourself through during the years of struggling with cancer, all of your decisions were based on making lives of the people you were leaving, easier and without complication.
There may have been many things you didn't hear from your dad and I (although I can't imagine what those might be), but one of them was not, "we're proud of you".  In fact, at one point you had heard it so much you ask dad not to tell you any more. Neither of us could have ever done that because we were so very proud of you. Did you make mistakes.  Heck ya!  Did we make mistakes, undeniably! But you were not one of them. You were an unimaginable miracle in our lives. 

The years we spent with you can never be duplicated. For more reasons than are self-evident! I use to laughingly tell you, "you can be replaced you know". You look at me and say, "Mom, take a good look. Would you really want to try that now?".  I can honestly say, you were the pride and JOY of my life and there isn't one single thing I would have changed about you.  To change one thing could have changed everything. You were an amazing son. I thank God for allowing me to share in your life for an amazing 38 years. It be wrong of me to ask the Lord for more.  For whatever task God required you I am happy to have spent 38 HOURS WRACKED IN HARD LABOR to be able to spend 38 years with you.  Happy Birthday son!

As always, love, mom

PS to readers. Aaron and I had a standing joke about my hours of labor. He said every birthday my hours of labor increased with his age. Today, I get the last word and he's having a good laugh.)

No comments: