Sunday, November 25, 2012

A Mom's Strength and Love

Good morning son! Well, our second Thanksgiving without you...we survived. It has been a beautiful Fall season and a warm and wonderful time of being especially thankful. Dad and I cooked our turkey, yes, and "stuffing" as Jon says, not dressing. And, your grandma's wonderful Cranberry Crunch Jello Salad. Thanksgiving and Christmas wouldn't be complete without that jello salad. In fact, how does anyone even eat turkey with out that cranberry salad? People don't know what they are missing. Thanksgiving evening we officially began the season by watching "Home Alone" and "Christmas Story".

 Last night was Thanksgiving dinner with the Troy 9. The kids choose a recipe, shop and prepare the meal. They made some amazing dishes; souffle, "stuffing" Brussels Sprout Slaw, mashed potatoes, cornbread, crescent rolls, fresh cranberries, roasted chicken, angel food cake, pumpkin pie, Rice Krispy Treats and a concoction Corey cooked up. She said it was a recipe but I have my suspicions. Onions, Parmesan cheese, fennel and something else she baked in the oven. I think it's just something she dreamed up to see if I would be willing to taste it. She and I tasted it and then the chicken's got dinner! I don't know, but it might still be laying out there in the chicken pen.

Ruby Cranberry Crunch Salad

2 - 3 oz. Cherry or Raspberry jello
2 cups boiling water
1 cup cold water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 - #1 can Whole Cranberry Sauce
1 cup thinly chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Dissolve jello in boiling water; stir in cold water and lemon juice. Chill mixture until thick and syrupy. Fold in remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour into a 2-quart jello mold or a 9x12 pan. Chill until set.


Josie, rocking horse & reindeer
Josie came over on Friday and she and I took down and put away all the Fall decor. She's a great little helper. She gathered all the ceramic and glass, which is quite a bit, and wrapped it all in tissue paper. After that is, she sang a pumpkin song and made them all dance!  She then had a clear road to get out "her" rocking horse and rocking chair where she proceeded to give her rocking horse a "bath" with a wet wash cloth and ate a candy cane while giving her reindeer a ride on her rocking horse. A good time was had by all.

I see the wonder in her eyes.
I'm ready to display my t-shirt quilt.
Friday afternoon dad and I moved ALL the Christmas decorations upstairs. Last year we just put out a few things. Dad is determined to go the entire route this year while I am gone. It will probably take him that long. However, 12-13 tubs of decorations in no way compare to a garage full, an 8x10 storage shed from top to bottom and side to side and the better portion of a 12x16 storage shed...all Christmas decorations when we lived in Oakdale CA. Remember? We use to have to begin November 1st to get it all done. The last Christmas there dad and grandpa put 10,000 lights in the yard alone. We had a friends and family open house every year with dad as Santa. Grandma and I made cookies and candy for days before and hot spiced cider. Those times were some of the most fun we've had in 42 years of marriage. Our Christmas village, including a train, took the tops of two 4x8 sheets of plywood in the window of the family room. If I remember correctly, you and dad even talked me into going caroling that year. We just about froze our hiney's off. That valley fog is mighty cold. Christmas has always been such a joyful time for all of us. Sure, it was a lot about buying things and giving things. But most of all it was about the wonder of a baby boy being born and mission that God had for Him. I look at Christmas with different eyes now. I have to wonder what my life as a mom would have been if I had known what Mary knew when her son was born; that his life would be required of Him at an early age. That He was being brought into the world for an express purpose, to die. Now I know, everyone eventually dies. But I have to think, since I am a mom, that knowledge, prior to conception, would have terrified me.How would she have coped all those years wondering every single day, "is this the day". When He disappeared and went to the temple, did she wonder if that was the time. When he traveled miles and miles along dusty, dry roads preaching did His mom know where He was. Did He stay in daily contact with her? How would He have done that. You and I always talked every other day, if not every day. And I have to tell you, I never, ever in my wildest dreams, thought your life would be required of you at 38 years old. Why would I? That happens to everyone else, not me. There is a reason God does not tell us the future. Your illness and death is a good example of why. As I sat in that hospital room that day and heard the doctor say those words, "stage four colon cancer, 3-6 months" and I watched your face I was filled with awe. You appeared calm. You asked questions as if you knew what you needed ask. Neither of us cried at that moment. I think we both knew that if one of us did it would be over for both of us.Tears came later after the doctor left. As I think back to Mary I think what an amazing mom. She knew the inevitable, she basically had no time or connection with her Son after about twelve years old. He knew His mission and she had known from conception what His life would be. What a woman and mom of courage!

God gave us so many good times together but I think our Christmases will always be the strength of those memories. Dad and I were trying to remember last night the first time you read the Christmas story on Christmas day. If we remember right, you were twelve. What a message of joy and hope you left here for us. You lived a life spreading joy and hope and you died carrying that same message. Dad and I have that and we will always be grateful to you for that. You were determined that we remember the joy, and we do. Joy is what Christmas is all about. Sharing that joy and that message is a very important part of our lives. This past year has been one of healing. I don't know if things will ever be "normal" again. Just about the time I think I have it all together, I loose it. But I will continue to live and celebrate the joy that your life brought to mine and dads. This year, I promise you, we will find a new way to share our joy with others once again.

Until next week, be Aaron, love mom














No comments: