Sunday, January 20, 2013

I Find Comfort In These Things



Good morning son! And just how are you this fine freezing morning? I know, no freezing in heaven; only bright and sunny....always. How great that has to be, perfect weather forever. Since we really don't know what that looks like here I don't know how I think it would be great, but it's heaven, so great all the time it is.

It's been somewhat of a quiet week around here. That's great as far as I'm concerned. I've spent a lot of time in my studio this week...just like I planned when I thought about retirement. Josie has her 5th birthday January 25th and so I'm gearing up for that. I made a sign that says, "Sassy Girl" (fits, don't ya think) and a couple of items to hold all of her headbands and all her hair paraphernalia. She's a little girl, there's a lot of it. I saw some things on Pinterest  that I thought would be super cute. And they turned out super cute just as I thought. Now I'm on to Valentine's Day. I promised Josie that next Saturday when mom and dad go on "date night" we'd work on Valentine's Day gifts so I'm gearing up and getting things ready.

Week before last when dad and I were in Albany we stopped by Habitat for Humanity Resale Store. I've been looking for a hutch top, I already have the bottom that Corey and Jon gave me, so I could get my glassware out of storage and put away. I've been looking for over a year, but I needed something with glass front doors and very, very cheap. The piece the "kids" gave us is huge, dark wood with a black marble top. I wanted something that at least came close. I found it! And guess what? It was only $20! God is good. It's been over a year, but it couldn't fit more perfectly. Next was getting it home. It's 60" wide and 48" tall. We have a Subaru. Need I say more? When it comes to "eye-balling" things though, I do have a pretty good eye. I knew it would be tight but was sure it would fit. I don't think dad was so sure. We had the car full of the monthly purchase of groceries and paper goods so knew we'd have to make a return trip. We paid for the hutch top and had a week to pick it up. We went back last Tuesday. I took out the vanity screen before we left the house and off we went. When the guys came out to the loading dock with the hutch top they stopped up short, took a look at the car and said to dad, "Did you measure to see if this would fit?" Dad, "No, but my wife says it will." So the man proceeded to measure, shook his head and called for help. They decided to lay it on top of the wheel wells (which I had already planned) slid it in and needed about one more inch to be able to close the back of the car. I adjusted our front seats about one inch, they closed the door, shook their heads and we headed home.

Dad and I were able to slide it out of the car onto the porch and slide it into the house. I couldn't lift it because my shoulder was locked down to my side with bursitis so David came down from upstairs and helped dad lift it up the four feet to get it on the top of the buffet and voila' when it's all cleaned up it looks like it was made to go together. Thank you Lord! Another example for me of trusting  and trying my faith. Could God have given that to me without me spending $20? Absolutely. Would He have? I don't know. All I know is that my Heavenly Father knows the desires of my heart and I knew at that moment, when I saw the hutch top, that it was the perfect fit so I bought it and took it home. 


Someone told me years ago that it is wrong to "presume" on our Heavenly Father . I've tried to live that way. We taught you that way. Don't take an action you questions and then expect your Heavenly Father to "bail you out". But you know what. That was wrong. I think you actually learned that long before I did but you never said anything. But, I saw how you depended on your Heavenly Father. How you trusted Him. I heard you pray. I heard you tell your story to others and in those stories I saw your faith and how you trusted your Heavenly Father. Looking back now and thinking about relationship you had with your Heavenly Father has made me take some "second looks" into my relationship with my God and Heavenly Father. Here's what I've concluded. I consider my relationship with my father growing up and later to be a great one. I loved him very much and I have no doubt that he would have done anything in his power to make my life better and to protect me. Even when I didn't deserve it. Even when I did something I knew was something that was contrary to his teaching I knew I could count on him to "bail me out". Certainly there would be consequences, but I never ever doubted that he would be there for me.

If my Heavenly Father loves me more than my earthly father, because God's love is perfect, then why should I not be able to presume on my Heavenly Father? Why should I not be able  to go to my Heavenly Father and say, "I screwed up big time and I need you to bail me out. I know there will be consequences to my actions. I know that you love me and want what's best for me. I'm sorry, please forgive me." Why can I not say that and know beyond a shadow of a doubt that He will. I don't have to wonder if He will. I should be able to count on Him just like my earthly father. I should never, ever have to question whether He will be there for me. You taught me that. Thank you.

Just like I respected my earthly father and would have done nothing intentionally to disrespect him, I will do nothing intentionally to disrespect my Heavenly Father. But, for me, it's great to know that I can count on Him and "presume" that He's always there for me, no matter what!

Until next week, be Aaron, love mom
.





































No comments: