Sunday, August 11, 2013

Grace Neverending

Afternoon son! How are you today? That's a rhetorical question. I already know you're great. Sorry I'm a bit late. Spent some girl time with Corey, Sierra and Josie this morning while Corey took a break from homework. We had a great visit and many laughs as always.

What would you do if I ever said we had a dull week? I don't think you have to worry about it. The weeks seem to be always full and always busy. It's been a beautiful couple of days; in the 80s with low humidity. Good playing weather and good sleeping weather. While the group was in Maine last week dad and I spent the week finally getting a handle on the entrance and hall to our home. It was a disaster. We spent three days just scrubbing and vacuuming. Fortunately, dad had the foresight to move a shop-vac with us when we moved. It had never been opened. I cleaned the lower 14 stairs and dad did the upper 14. We scrubbed all the woodwork, banister and edges and then used the shop vac for all the cobwebs and the carpet runner up the stairs. Like I said, it was a mess. The landlords haven't done in "forever"! Neither of us could stand it any longer. When I used the shop vac on the hall way I thought it was going to pull the carpet up. We spent the next two days painting and putting up a border; all for $9! The Lord gave me a gallon of yellow paint and two rolls of wall paper border at Habitat Resale for $9. If I had gone to Home Depot to pick out the perfect yellow It wouldn't have been this great! And, it was a full gallon! The packages of border had never been opened and they were heavy duty vinyl. It's an Americana print with "Old Glory". Matches perfectly like it was made for the project. Well actually, it was.

There is no electrical outlet in the lobby or hall so we're fixing that today so we can put a small lamp there. The wiring in the old house is something you don't want to mess with so while I was off having fun this morning, dad took up the threshold. We'll run an extension cord from the outlet inside out door, under the threshold and to the lamp. There's always a way in "Jannie Land", as dad says. Dad is so great about all the projects. I just never seem to stop and he just goes right along and does what needs to be done. The overhead light is on a sensor and you have to be standing right under it to get it to come on. It's dangerous for dad at night so we'll fix that little problem with a lamp I already have. The lamp has a lamp base with a 4" star. I repainted it from a light blue to red, covered the lamp shade with left over wall paper, added a yellow gold trim and voile', a new lamp for the hall!

Last weekend I brought the shutters in from the front porch decor, since that's all about to change, painted them red. They will become the headboard for the bed in the guest room. Let me tell you, painting four, six foot shutters with a brush is no small feat! But, I have a gallon of red paint and I'm not about to buy red spray paint when I have all of that. Anyway, it's all done, the painting that is.

I don't remember if I told you or not, but dad and I picked up a load of reclaimed 1" x 4" wood on the side of the road last week. I am in heaven! Well, not literally, so don't start looking for me just yet, but you know what I mean.  I am so excited I can hardly stand it. I thought we'd get to build some planters and "candle" boxes this week but unfortunately, the State of New York seems to have other ideas. I have jury duty! Can you believe it? I know. In 64 years I don't get called until I'm 60 and now at 64. What have they been waiting on for crying out loud. I think they just waited until I retired to be ornery. 

God continues to provide grace for this life. Just when I think He can't surprise me any more He does it again and I again am amazed. Grace...God's unmerited favor! I am reminded ever day of God's grace and how little I merit that gift, but God continues to give it. As I struggle through the ups and downs of my daily life I am eternally grateful that I have the Lord. I know, without a doubt, without it there would be no reason to remain. Oh yes, I've thought about that. Sometimes just the daily struggles of life become so heavy. God holds me and reminds me that although what I'm struggling with at the time may seem laughable to some He knows the grip of the struggle for me. He's never promised a life without struggle, but He does assure me that He will be there to hold me through it. It also helps me to understand that when I see someone else struggling with something and I want to make a face and say, "Oh get over it.", for them it could be it's more unbearable than they can handle. So, I need to use caution and be aware that a struggles depth of meaning is known only to the bearer of the struggle and God.

God's grace is sufficient.

Until next week, be Aaron, love mom










No comments: