Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Sketch of an Artist

Good morning son! Is it smoky up there? Just asking because thee are forest fires all over the western United States today. Including one in Groveland. All of our family are safe. We're praying for those that remain in the area and for the almost 2,000 fire fighters and emergency personnel. The fire is pushing hard and everyone has been fighting for long hours. We're asking the Lord to keep them safe and alert. It only takes a single instant to change someones life forever.

Finally got my new reading glasses this last week. It's been two years since I've been able to sit down and read a book. My first stop was at a used book store! The glasses are so thick I wouldn't want anything but reading glasses with this correction. I don't think I could hold them up all day! But I am so thankful to have them and to be able to read. If I'm reading and look up my hold world goes crazy but as long as I can see to read I'm good.

Dad and I are getting ready to clean off the front porch from all the Spring flowers. The weather is changing rapidly. We're having beautiful days and cooler nights and mornings. I want to plant some mums and decorative grasses for Fall. On my way to Hobby Lobby this last week I found eight great planter pots on the side of the road. Yes, I stopped and picked them up. I saw them on the way to Hobby Lobby but didn't want to turn around so I told myself if they were still there when I came back home I'd pick them up. They were and I did! I'm going to build a table from some of my reclaimed wood  for the porch to set the mirror on and I'll go from there. I also plan on starting on the case for your old Monopoly pieces that Kristin sent to dad. I have everything I need I just need to get it done. I think this will be a good week to get it completed.


Fire starters for Jon
Candles for Corey
I made a couple, of what I think, were great birthday presents for Jon and Corey this week. I used reclaimed wood to make candle stands for Corey and from pine cones, I made fire starters for Jon. Based on what I had to work with I changed them out a little from the original idea I had seen....yes, on Pinterest, but was happy with how they turned  out.  It's birthday season here in New York so projects are a daily occurrence. No problem here! Then there,s Hanukkah and Christmas. Can't wait for Christmas this year. Allegra is coming for a visit. We haven't seen here in a couple of years so it's really going to be a lot of fun having her here. She loves Christmas so much and she is way past ready to see HoHo and Auntie and we're way past wanting to see all of them. All the girls are growing up so quickly. But they're happy and that's what counts. Anyway, it's going to be a fun Christmas. Wish you could be here. You know what I mean.

I've been spending a lot of time this past week sketching. Why have I never tried this before? I love doing it. Dad like me to color them in but I prefer just the pencil and paper. So I compromise on some of them and color them in. I drew a rooster last week and I love the pencil detail on it. Dad however said that the sketch "screamed" for bright color so I colored it in with brush markers. It's okay but I still prefer just the pencil. I think it's kinda like life. Sometimes you need color, sometimes it's just best simply in pencil. God is the artist of this amazing universe. And what an artist. Sometimes it's brilliant color such as the leaves changing color in Fall or the white of the snow in Winter. Sometimes is warm glow of the sun or
 
the blackness of the night. It's as though God knows, and He does, that we're all different and we all need different things in our lives. Some need color, some need the calmness of simplicity. Sometimes we need color for a time and quietness and calmness at other times. Sometimes we don't know what we need or want and during those times we can call on the Lord and He will answer. It's not always what we want to hear. Many times it things we don't want to hear because it requires we take an action. Yes, God could do it for us, but why should He. He gave us what we need to do what we need to do and He's there with us to help us. Some decisions don't come easy. Some are very difficult. But we do what we have to do and He's with us. Sometimes it's not a decision, it's a realization. Sometimes in order to make a decision you need to have the realization.

It's been a good week and I've had some realizations. Sometimes we expect the warmth of the sun and we get the cool of the Fall. Realizing it's exactly what we need at the time and what the artist intended makes all the difference in the decisions we make.

Until next week, be Aaron, love mom

















No comments: