Sunday, September 8, 2013

My Heart's Treasure Box

Good morning son! Well, it's a delightful 66 degrees this morning. Delightful for dad anyway! And tonight is slated for a low of 43 degrees. And yet, on Thursday it's predicted to be a high of 90 degrees and a low of 70 degrees. The humidity will probably match the high. It's definitely Autumn! Jamison and dad got sprinkled on during their afternoon walk yesterday. The weather is at the stage that he wears a light jacket "just in case" but he's not into the sweatshirt stage yet.

I spent the day with the Troy 7 on Tuesday. As I was bending down to kiss Josie good morning on the top of her head I just happened to get a glimpse of movement from the garden outside the family room windows. When I looked out I saw two, very happy puppies, jumping and frolicking throughout the garden. They were having the time of their lives. Now these "puppies" as we call them, are about six months old and are half the size of a Shetland pony!  They had a ball by the time I got in to tell Jon. And...the garden was demolished..literally! Needless to say, no more green beans this summer. Although it actually was hilarious to watch because they were having such a great time, I felt so badly for Jon and Corey. They work so hard on those gardens every year and all of that work just trampled in about 30 seconds. The puppies survived though!


I was able to buy my miter box and saw this week for some current projects. Dad installed the vise on my work table yesterday and so last night I made my first rectangular lath "wreath". Oh I know, you'll have to see to know what I'm talking about. It's a project I've been wanting to try since I picked up this bundle of wood at Habitat Re Store. I made some fabric flowers last night to use on it but as I work on it I don't know that I want to use them. I think I like the wreath best with the silk leaves and the branches from our trees. It looks more rustic for Autumn. Today or tomorrow I need to cut over 100 1" pieces of this 1"lath for Christmas projects. That should be fun (she says sarcastically). This week I begin dad's case for his Monopoly pieces. I think it's going to be a tedious but fun project. He's very excited that I'm finally getting to it. Actually, I couldn't do it without the vise and miter box/saw.

Well, I just got a challenge via text message from Corey! I keep telling her that she feeds me so much "blog fodder" that's it's a weekly struggle not to use it. But, since this is happening as I write she deserves what she gets.  Plus, this is really a normal conversation between the two of us:

Corey: Something just fell out of my hair and was crawling in my bra! So I ate it! Put THAT in your blog, duderranch!!!!! (Direct quote!)

Corey: Where is your b log anyway????

Me: I'm writing now, but some duderrancch keeps interrupting me!!

Corey: Oh. Ummm. Sorry. Not really.

Always intelligent conversations between the two of us. Not! By the way, do you have any idea what a duderranch is? Me either.
 
Well, enough of that!

This afternoon Josie and I are going to make her a treasure box. I had one, just an old cigar box I found it my grandpa's garage he let me have. I use to keep it in the old barn down in grandpa's pasture for awhile, then I moved it to under my bed. It became quite a challenge to keep that box. My mom had a rule that nothing, and I do mean nothing, was ever kept under the bed. It
inhibited her ability to vacuum. So, it meant on the days I knew she was going to vacuum I had to make sure it was moved to  my closet or a drawer. I wonder what I ever did with that treasure box/ Hmmm. I was telling Josie about it yesterday and I guess she got to thinking about it and decided she wants to make one. I have a couple of unfinished boxes here so we'll use one of those and she can decorate to her hearts content. She just lost her first tooth and received a $2 from the Tooth Fairy so that can be her first treasure to put in her box.

Treasure boxes are great. You can put all the little special things that are important to you in them. Kind of like memories in your heart. Think of your heart as your memory box. All the important things in your life are stored there. Just about the time I think my heart memory box is full, I find room for something new. At almost 65 I have come to the realization there is no way to fill up my memory box. There will always be room for something new. I add to that memory box everyday. I find lately that I reach back into the memories from years past and enjoy


reminiscing, rolling those memories around in my head as I use to take those memory items from my box and roll them around in my hand, and remember.

Each new days brings new opportunities to add to the heart's memory box. I am so glad that God created us with the ability to remember and to hold certain things dear and close to our hearts. Those things help mold us. They help us become the person God intends for us to become and be. They are a part of us forever. Those memories help us help others. They let us share with others to help them through good times and tough times. They help bring us back to reality and realize that good or bad, life changes. Those memories remind us that we have gone through tough times before and God always brings us through them. They remind us that God always answers. Sometimes the answer is yes, sometimes no and sometimes wait. Those memories remind me that even though I often get off the path God intended, there is a way back. I've done it before my memories tell me, I'll probably do it again, but my God is always faithful, never waivers, I just lift up my heart, hand and eyes and God sooths my heart wipes my tears, takes my hand and leads me on...to make new memories.
Until next week, be Aaron, love mom
 

 

No comments: