Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day and Memories

Good morning dad! Happy Father's Day! I know this morning the thing you are going to miss the most is that early morning phone call from me. Believe me, I tried, but the service here is horrible. I know, can you believe it. You'd think we'd have super phone service. Guess 'cause the Lord doesn't need it He doesn't think we need it either.Guess He's right. He always is! Here in heaven we learn NOT to argue with God a lot quicker than when we're on earth. On earth believe it not, some people NEVER learn not to argue with God. When you get here, in heaven, it's easy to learn. There's no desire to"do your own thing". I don't really know if we can't do our own thing or that we finally realize what's really, truly important? I'm still learning as you know, but I'm catching on.

Me and you dad. Always me and you.
I don't want you to think I've forgotten you. I could never do that. All those memories we made together, I still remember. And when I got to heaven, all those memories we made together when I was really little and I couldn't remember when I got older. I remember now. Kinda cool huh! Remember when we lived in Castroville and you use to take me to work with you. Mom helped me dress up with my coat and tie. I had a "briefcase" that contained my Legos, books and coloring books and Crayons? I knew most of the receptionist in the plants. I'd stay in the lobby with my briefcase full of "work" and wait until you had met with your customer. I remember sometimes the customer would have a prized baseball, football or jersey in their office and they would invite me in to tell me about it. Sometimes we'd go to lunch after you made your call. Just the two of us. I was so lucky to have you dad. You always told me that two of your goals were to be a good dad and a good husband. You were the best!

Then there were "fun days". That was Saturday. I use to think fun day was an actual day of the week remember: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Funday. Mom gave us that day together because you had to travel so much. She said she and I played all week so you and I should play on Saturdays. Just so you know, I don't think it was always about us going out all day and having fun. I think she wanted us out of the house so she could get the house cleaned for the week! It doesn't really matter what the reason was. It was always a great day. Remember in Fountain Valley when we use to build rockets?  WOW, how great that was. We'd work for weeks on a rocket and then when we were ready mom would pack a picnic lunch and make some of our favorite, Lemon Squares", and we'd head to Fountain Valley Park. I'm glad it was back then 'cause I don't think they're let us set rockets off in the park anymore. That rocket would soar until we could barely see it. I was so excited I could barely stand it. We built it dad, you and I.


Not at our house! You let by example dad.
Then there were Sunday's. Sunday's were always special. I remember how special Sunday's were to all of us. Growing up there was never a question as to what we were going to be doing on Sunday. It was Sunday School and church. In fact, when we had to relocate to a new city because of your job, I remember asking mom what the name of the town was and she'd say, "We don't know yet son. We know the general area, but until the Lord guides dad to the right church we won't know the town". You always found our new church home first. We were always fully involved. If the church doors were open, we were there. I loved those times dad. I learned so much. I grew to be the man you loved because of the example you set. Oh I know you weren't perfect. And believe me, once you get to heaven and you find out what perfect really is, we're so far off when we're on earth it's laughable. But to me, growing up, a better dad had never been born. You taught me the importance of God in my life, of a personal relationship with Him, of being in His service, of sharing His story, of living the example. You taught me how to witness. You taught me by living the example. Yes, I watch you. I can very plainly remember the day you got down on one knee in front of me and said, "I'm sorry son, dad made a mistake". I was devastated. My dad made a mistake? That wasn't possible. I remember crying and you trying to explain how all dads made mistakes. I think it scared you to realize that I had put you on that proverbial pedestal.


That would be us dad!
Remember the time we were in a gift shop, an all glass gift shop? Now why would mom EVER take you and me into a shop that was all glass? What was she thinking? I mean all you and I had to do was walk through the door and all the glass figurines started shaking on their stands! You reminded me as we went through the door to not touch, just look. Sorry dad, I was a very typical four year old and I just couldn't help it. Everything was so shiny! As I reached out to touch I bumped the shelf and down it came. I shattered into, what seemed like to a four year old, a million tiny pieces. I can remember standing there and looking up at you. It was sooooo far up to those eyes. You got down on that proverbial knee, looked me in the eyes and said, "If I had my pick of all the sons in the entire world, I'd pick you". You gave me a hug and paid for the item when we left. I didn't realize until years later when we were talking about it and it dawned on me, you were going to buy mom something in that store that day. You weren't able to because you had to use the money to pay for what I had broken. You never said a word. Mom never said a word. But I felt more love that day that you can ever imagine. That was a lesson and example I used throughout my life Thank you.



My last Christmas and the T-shirt for mom.
Christmas! How do I ever make you understand how much that time of year meant to me. I hope you were able to just see it in me. I have to tell you though. Just to set things straight, I really never believed it when you told me when I was little that there wasn't a Santa Claus. Boy was mom ever mad at you! Whew! I wouldn't, for anything, have wanted to be behind closed doors with her after you did that. Her eyes were blazing! I just thought he was playing a trick on me mom. I mean, get real. No Santa? He didn't fool me for a minute. I mean, for heaven sake, I found the suit, boots, belt and hat his his closet years later. Then I was absolutely sure. No Santa! Give me a break! But, in the midst of all the fun and Santa, you taught me the true meaning of Christmas. The birth of Jesus. My favorite part of Christmas was when I could get out my own Manger Scene and put it up in my room. Mom gave that to me when I got older. It got lost in one of my moves. But it's a memory I will never forget.

Her hand in mine.
One of the best examples you ever set for me dad was how you treat my mom. You are an amazing husband. You always think of mom first. You always watch for her well-being. You always want what's best for her, sometimes you really have to put yourself out there like that recent book you bought for her, "Being Fit". I mean geez dad, what were you thinking? You could have lost your scalp over that one. But you took the chance because mom's health and well-being is more important than yours. (And that could have been literal with this one). But, you counted the cost and you did it. You did it because you love her. I've never, ever heard you complain about mom or say anything negative about mom. You love her unconditionally. I can say that because of the example you gave me, that's the husband I wanted to be. In the brief time Kristin and I had together. I hope that if nothing else, she knows that I loved her above myself and I loved her unconditionally.


All of these things you taught me dad and they got me through a time I didn't think I would survive. Oh, sorry. I didn't survive it did I? Oh, but I did dad. Maybe not there on earth with you, but here I'm realizing what all those memories and lessons were about. Here I'm enjoying the perfect life that you taught me about and prepared me for. Here I live in a mansion, walk on streets of gold and pass through pearly gates every day. Here, dad, is what life is all about.


Have a wonderful Father's Day! Don't weep for me or shed tears. I'm content and happy here. Here is where I'm suppose to be, doing what I've always dreamed of, a Jester in the King's Court!


Until next time, be dad, I love you, Aaron





























 

No comments: