Sunday, June 10, 2012

It's Moving Up Day


 

Good morning son! Yoohoo, where are you? Oh, there you are, right where you're suppose to be! Tell me, while I'm actually remembering a thought, what's a Sunday morning like in heaven? I can't imagine it being any prettier than the one I'm enjoying right now. It's gorgeous out. A little overcast but that will soon lift. The birds are in harmony this morning. Jamison is laying on the arm of the couch and watching his friends as they flutter about and chirp their morning message. 

Actually, I know heaven is much brighter and beautiful than from where I sit right now. We talked about it when you were growing up. From the time you were a baby we sang about it, "Heavenly Sunshine". I know you're still singing it there in heaven. How lucky everyone in heaven is to have you there. I've caught myself asking "why" a couple of times this last couple of weeks though. There are some real breakthroughs in cancer treatments and drugs lately and I catch myself wondering why they couldn't have happened just a little bit sooner. Would they have made any difference? Natural questions I guess.

Anyway, enough of that down-hill ride. Dad and Jamison are just heading out to pick up the Sunday paper and here I sit talking with you. Isn't that the way it's suppose to be? I enjoy Sunday mornings. Dad is still searching for a church. He's called some and asked that they give him a call but no one has returned the call. He left a note on a church door not far from us last week and asked to have the pastor call. So far, no response. For now, we're spending a quiet Sunday morning reflecting on our love for the Lord and thanking Him for all that we have and are. And of course I write my blog, and have my "conversation" with you. 

As far as continuing my life-long goal of getting fit, the scale is refusing to budge. But, I feel better than I have in many a year. We're eating better than ever (well, except for last night). We celebrated Hunter's birthday. He's 15. I think he's grown a foot in the last couple of weeks. All of a sudden he's shooting straight up. Corey actually cooked; spaghetti and meatballs! It was super. She is actually an amazing cook but we never miss a chance to razz her about Jon doing all the cooking. Hunter is such a delight. We just love him to death. Actually there's nothing NOT to love about any of them. All the kids have such distinct personalities and they're such a hoot to be around. 

Back to getting fit. So I overindulged last night eating spaghetti and meatballs and ice-cream cake. Today it's nothing unless it's green and a rabbit eats it! I'm trying to walk more but the more I walk the more that silly bunion screams. I'll find a balance, I always do. Something is happening because I'm down a pant size so I guess that's good. Hope it's not just all going around to my backside where I can't see it. Guess I should ask dad! Like I said, I know I'm feeling better, have more energy, my thinking is clearer, (wish my eyesight was) and I'm moving more. It's a lifelong goal so I hope I have a very long life. Evidently it's going to take every day I can get!

Josie and I had a mishap last night. She jumped, I wasn't ready and her head connected with the wood floor! Ouch! Dad(her dad) to the rescue with frozen peas, mom with hugs and this morning, all is well.

Friday, June 15th is scheduled to be a very busy day. It's "moving up day" for Josie, Josh and Trey at Taylor School in the morning, school picnic that afternoon and Jamo's graduation from Middle School at 6 p.m. that evening. No time to work that day!

Moving up. Hum, that's an interesting concept and thought. Isn't that what we hear most of our lives? "I want to move up in the world." What is that anyway? Does that mean we want to move up the hill? Move up the driveway? Move up? I guess if I really stop and think about it, moving up, for me anyway, is the opportunity to attain a goal and move forward, not backward. As babies, our parents, siblings and families worked with us to move up from milk to food, we move up from diapers to potty, we move up from sandbox to real life. Well, most of us do anyway. Many people never move up and get out of the "sandbox" of life. I often use to say to those I supervised, "it's time to get out of the sandbox and be an adult". Not "act" like and adult. Be an adult. Be that person people can count on and trust. Be a person who follows through. Be a person who respects those around them. Be honest. Be truthful. (Sounds as though we're in the Boy Scouts taking an oath!) And maybe we should "take an oath". Maybe that would help us remember that this life is a privilege


Son, am I rambling here? I thought so. I know where I'm headed and I know what I want to say, but for some reason it's bouncing back and forth in my head like a pinball game and I can't seem to get it in the right slot to score. (Don't be a smarty! I can read your mind remember. I'm your mother. I have eyes in the back of my head and I read minds!)


What I want to say is that life is not a sandbox like we played in with our playmates when we were little. I mean think about it. What's in a sandbox? Sand? Well of course, otherwise it would be called a box. But now as an adult what do you think about when you think about a sandbox? Right, litter box! As a kid, we didn't have to think or worry about that. Our parents did. But, as an adult it's your problem. I mean be honest. If you were a cat roaming around the neighborhood and wanted to potty where would you go; to a clump of grass or to a nice clean, dry sandbox. Right! But once you do your thing and you realize it's not somewhere you should have done it what would you do? Right! You'd try to cover it up. Well, I see adults using sandboxes in the same light. If you're an adult and still playing in a sandbox you're usually "dumping" on someone else and trying to cover it up. Do you really want to continue playing in a sandbox! Yuck!  

We could get in a spat with each other in the sandbox and our moms would come over, give us a talking to, tell us we shouldn't be fighting and would mitigate the outcome. We shouldn't need that anymore. At this stage in our lives we should be capable adults who, when they have a problem with someone or need something from someone can go to that person and have an adult conversation. We should not always need a mediator. We should have learned by now how to speak for ourselves. I think sometimes we take a very simple process and make it into this huge thing. I mean, we've been taught from the beginning of our life to talk and have conversations. Sometimes we as parents don't always hear the first word we want to hear. I mean I was trying for "mommy" and you gave me "green bean" but what can I say, we both have minds of our own.

Why is it then that we can work with someone every day and have a relationship that works just fine we find ourselves in a "pinch". Then, all of a sudden we need "coaching" so we know how to have a conversation with them. I guess if I want someone to come to me if they have a problem with me rather than go to someone else to talk about it, then I should be willing to go to them rather than go to someone else and talk about it. You know what I mean? (Yes, I know you do, you can stop shaking your head, it was a rhetorical question.) I know it isn't easy. I had to do it last week at work. There's a person in the office I really enjoy and appreciate but I'm having a terrible time feeling like we connect at all. I've tried several approaches and simply can't seem to get there.So, last Friday I took the direct approach and I ask that person, "Have I offended you or made you angry and I'm not aware of it?" We had a short conversation and decided neither of us had a problem with the other. Will things change? I have no idea. I hope so. But, if they don't, I don't have to wonder any longer if it's something I've said or done. Maybe it's just our personalities. I don't know. I don't have to know. I know enough to be able to continue "moving up" to complete the goals and tasks as assigned.


For anyone still "playing in your sandbox", I encourage to stand up, brush off the sand and move up toward bigger and better things. The experience will free you.....and, those around you. Be a leader!

Until next week, (and don't forget it's Father's Day), be Aaron, love, mom

No comments: