Sunday, June 2, 2013

It's All In The Roots

Good morning son! How is this heavenly Sunday? Yesterday was HOT and HUMID here but it didn't stop us from doing things we wanted to do. Well, it may have slowed us down a bit but we still got things done. As you know, we're working on our back area and the deck. We have the bare bones set up and now it's time to start adding flower boxes and decor. We were going to take some pallets apart today to build some flower boxes but we're expecting some thundershowers, rain and severe wind this afternoon so we'll probably have to set that project aside for tomorrow...not that one day matters! Jon bought us a Summer Squash plant at Farmer's Market yesterday so we'll put together a planter from my drawer collection and get that planted. 

To add color, along with the flowers we'll plant, I want something along the railing behind f the bench we built from tree logs. I have tons,and I mean if you've ever picked up a box of 12" ceramic tile you'll know what I mean, of ceramic tile I've picked up at the Habitat Store. I printed pictures off flowers and children gardening and started mod podging them to the tile. I was working outside on the deck yesterday because it was so beautiful outside. I had to cut it short due to rain but managed to get the first step on seven tile.I'll probably bring them in the studio and continue this afternoon during the storm.
Tomorrow I can take them back out on the deck and seal them. We'll adhere them to the deck rails using tile adhesive with hot melt assist. (You don't remember? Hot melt assist is when you are using another type of adhesive that takes some time to set.  You add a little hot melt along with the adhesive. The hot melt will create an immediate bond and hold until the other adhesive sets.) Works like a charm.

I can not begin to tell you how wonderful it is to feel like being out in the yard working. Dad spent about seven hours one day this week raking branches and old leaves around our back deck. I don't know when the last time that was done but I so appreciate the time he spent. It looks wonderful. We have about a four foot strip along the back side of our deck that is going to make a beautiful place for begonias and fuchsias.

We have a storm predicted for this afternoon so we'll be moving some things in from the front porch. We have too much invested already to let it all be blown away. Sometimes our front porch feels like a wind tunnel but when it's such hot weather it's really very nice. Kind of like life. We have days  when things are calm, sunny and warm and days when it's cold, wet and uncomfortable. It is so clear that if we don't have sun, heat, wind, rain we wouldn't be enjoying the beautiful array of grasses, trees and flowers.Water wouldn't taste as good on a hot day or a cozy blanket wouldn't feel so good on a cold winter's night. Why then do we struggle so when those same elements hit our spiritual lives? We talked about these very things so many times, you and I. I know you had the same conversations with dad too. The struggles we experience in our lives, I guess I should only speak for me, these struggles in MY life I know are there to help me keep firmly planted so that when the winds and rains and storms do blow, and believe me, they do, I can bend with them, learn from them and sway in their breezes without being
Guess there's no chance of me falling over!

uprooted. I know, I know, just because we know all of that doesn't me we face those storms with a smile. I certainly don't. And sometimes I get so tired in the storms I wish I could just lay down and be blown away in the rain and the wind. It would be so much easier. But, as you also know, I've NEVER been one to take the easy road. Dad and I were just laughing about that this week. If there is going to be a lesson learned in my life you can bet I'm going to learn it the hard way. Life would just be so simple if I could just take someone elses word for it but I just don't seem to be able to do that. Strong is good though. After all these years I should have roots that reach to China!

The weather is blustering with hot air in the trees today. The weatherman predicts a sever storm this afternoon with wind and rain and maybe some hail. Jamison and I have taken the warning to heart and have moved everything on the front porch over to the wall of the house to keep it from getting blown off the porch. It's great that the longer we live the more technology changes and they can now give us warnings to the storms headed our way.

I find that sometimes the storms in our lives can also be predicted. We know, just know sometimes, what is headed our way by the choices we make. But for the most part, we really don't have a clue what life is going to bring. We prepare when we can because we know the storms are coming even though we don't know what storms or when. Building and growing strong roots is the only way to weather life's storms.

Until next week, be Aaron, love mom










No comments: