Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Grass Is NOT Always Greener!

Good morning son! And here we are, one week later already. I have no idea where the weeks are going? Last week dad and I had an appointment every single morning for 6 days straight. I keep telling my phone I'm retired and it keeps binging with reminders. What's up with that?

Josie and I had a "date" on Tuesday. Just the two of us went girls shopping and to the movie, EPIC. It's a beautiful movie. She picked it out and she was right. Don't ever, ever tell her I said that!! It's actually a movie I'd like to see again.

We've had heat, thunder storms, lightening, wind, and rain this week, but they've actually all come in an orderly fashion. We've had sun and breezes in the morning and then just about the time it gets warm enough you're wanting the air conditioning on it clouds up, we have torrential downpours and it cools everything off and it's beautiful weather for sleeping. So, no compla
ints here. We spent all day yesterday installing the window air conditioners. Dad carried and lifted and I measured, cut and installed the insulation pieces.I hate having them in the windows, well, hate is a pretty strong word anymore. I dislike having them in the windows because I'd rather have the windows open. It is much easier in this house because we have two windows in each room for the most part so I still have a window I can open when I want to. And, when it hits 90-95 degrees I am SO thrilled we've installed them. So, it's a win, win. What use to take us a couple of hours now takes all day. What's up with that?

Corey arrived back home safely from Texas after a nine day stay. We're all very glad she's back home safe and sound. Jon did an awesome job of holding down the fort  while she was away just as he always does; including caring for 21 new chicks. Believe it or not, life has like an
Yes we did!
escalator since her feet touched the ground back home. We've been texting but I haven't seen her yet. I made some Marshmallow Brownies yesterday and I have tons of magazines so I'll drop those off today and maybe catch a glimpse of her as she runs from the house to the car. Some weeks are just like that. Life continues to happen...thank heaven!


Josh
Dad got his fishing license this last week. Josh is coming over to spend the night Monday night and then he and dad are headed to Grafton Lake for some fishing Tuesday morning. Guess they'll have to dig for some worms Monday night and pack a lunch. Hope they're awake enough so they don't get the two things mixed up.

Jamison is doing much better. We took him back in for the remainder of his boosters. He still has a week of antibiotic remaining for Lyme Disease. We'll take him back first part of August for a check and then a vaccine shot for Lyme Disease. I guess once they have it they can be reinfected with a different strain? I am SO thankful the Lord directed me to Banfield Clinics in my research. It's a super bargain at $28/mo. So far the only additional expenditure we've had is $8 for the antibiotic. He's not a spring chicken any more either. He'll be seven in November. He's such a comfort and a sweetie.

Believe it or not, I just had to wake your dad up. He's starting to sleep better and I would let him sleep until he wakes up but he doesn't want to sleep past 8 AM. We were out of our granola bars that we have with our yogurt for breakfast. Yes, I said yogurt! Your dad is easting Greek yogurt for breakfast and loves it. I make our granola bars and they are yummy crumbled in our yogurt for breakfast.

Granola Bars

Makes 48 bars
Preheat oven: 350 degrees

6 cups Old Fashion oats
2 cups mini chocolate chips
2 cups shredded coconut
1 1/2 cups craisins (I think dried apricots would be luscious but dad, not so much.)
2 cups sliced almonds
2 cans sweetened condensed milk, fat free
4 T melted butter

Mix well. I use my Kitchenaid to really get it mixed thoroughly but it can be stirred by hand.
Press tightly into a full size cooking sheet.
Bake for 20-22 minutes at 350 degrees.
Let cool 5 minutes and cut while warm.


Before
Before
So, the really BIG news for the week is, after two years we were finally able to buy a bed for the guest room! Both of us are so excited. Even though it means a lot of heaving lifting and carting things downstairs and organizing down there, we're up for it. We've been using the room for storage and it has worked well, but we are so ready for this. We so want to be ready to have company come and stay. Dad is VERY excited. The bed arrived this coming Friday so that gives us a week to get the room ready. Today we begin the process of moving things downstairs. And, that means ALL of the Christmas stuff. But we don't care. We're on it! Of course it also means that I want to paint and decorate. I've already completed the design work and now for the painting. I'll do that while dad and Josh are fishing. I'm just going three quarters of the way up the wall with yellow. My inspiration for the room is my yellow star quilt. I think I'll also paint a design on the wall above the bed eliminating the need for a headboard. The room needs the few extra inches at the foot of the bed. I'll take some "before" and "after" pictures to show you next week. 

I still have one piece of furniture in that room that I need to figure out what I'm going to do with it. It's the amoire  that dad "rebuilt" for me in Springfield. But I'll figure it out. You know I will!

It's taking a while, and at times I didn't think it would ever happen, but as dad said so well yesterday, "The longer I stay here, the more I love our home". God is good.



Until next week, be Aaron, love mom


 
 

No comments: