Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Choosing Joy

Life is funny; don't you think? I can plan, draw diagrams, do research, make a decision and in the blink of an eye...whoosh, the whole thing changes It happens at home, at work...doesn't matter. What do they say, "Life is what happens while we plan". But there is one thing always constant, it's the ability to make the decision to choose joy no matter the circumstances. Life is great, challenging, sad, full of laughter, exciting, new, old but with all that happening around me, the thing I cherish the most right now, is the moment I'm in. My son has been teaching me some very good lessons through his battle with cancer. Choosing joy is not something new for our family. As Aaron has told you, it's something my hubby has taught and we've tried to practice as a family our entire lives together. But, Aaron having cancer has put an entirely different spin on the whole concept for me. I find myself, in everything I do, trying to find the joy in the moment. (I have my annual checkup tomorrow, I'm still looking for the joy in that one! And the colonoscopy to follow in September...that one's really going to take some work!) Yet there really is joy in knowing that I'll be under the care of skilled professionals and live in a land where the services are provided. THAT I can find joy in...the process I'll work on.

If you're having trouble choosing joy let me offer a suggestion...if you're in the local area. One of the ways Aaron has brought joy to my life is through Comedy Sportz. His laughter and talent bring joy to this mother's heart. He is so very talented. Oh yes, I've asked the question why. God's not going to give me that answer. Actually, it's none of my business. Will I continue to ask? Absolutely, I'm a mother. I'm also me, and asking why has always been a part of my profile. Do I want to know why my son? You know, something inside me won't let me ask that question because I remember what my mother said to me when I told her many years ago that I had been asking God why my mother had Parkinsons disease. She said, "Oh honey, why NOT me? I wouldn't wish this on anyone else. God will give me the grace to handle this." WOW! What do you say to that? I wouldn't wish colon cancers on any other child nor any other parent. I would gladly take it on myself if that were possible, but as Aaron says, "God has a plan. I may not like it, but I will follow it." Sorry about the bunny trail but I needed to share that.

Now, back to an opportunity to choose joy. As you've probably already seen on a poster, heard on KNPW radio this morning, read on Aaron's blog at judasforgiven.com or seen the various postings on Facebook, Comedy Sportz is doing a reunion performance on August 14th at Lane Community College at 6PM. This is a totally family friendly event and you'll laugh until your sides split. It's a hoot! I encourage you to invite friends and family. Take a break together and come and join us in finding joy in the moment. We'd love to see you there. You can find ticket information on Aaron's blog. Let's all get together and experience joy and laugh together. I'd love to share my son and his joy with you!

Oh, are you expecting that choosing joy is going to be easy? Is anything in life that's good or worthwhile easy? Of course not. You wouldn't appreciate it if it was easy. Besides, what do they say, "If it was easy, anybody could do it!" Nope, it's not about easy, it's about accomplishment. It's about listening to your inner self and making a conscience decision to choose joy above all else. You're going to have to think about it, but don't think too long or you'll miss the whole thing!

No comments: