Friday, August 19, 2011

Joy Is In The Choosing

A couple of years ago hubby bought me a little book, Bedside Blessings by Charles R. Swindoll.  It's just a little book with daily thoughts that takes you through the entire year.  I've enjoyed this little book and many nights before turning out the light this little book and the words within has provided much relief when my mind is going in circles and zig-zags.  It's words help to sooth my soul when my mind, heart, head and soul just can't focus on anything with any more depth. 


This week has been a heavy one for me.  I have found joy because I seek it. That does not mean that I don't have to deal with human emotions. Sleep has been very elusive this week but the Lord has provided much joy in so many different way.  That being said, I want to share yesterday's reading from Bedside Blessings.

August 18
"Nothing surprises God.  What puzzles us is permitted by our Lord, for reasons too profound to grasp.  It is put together in the counsel of His own will so that it fits perfectly into His plan for His glory and for His purposes.  As His servant, I say in response, 'I will not fear.   Though I don't understand it, I will not fear.  Though You take something that's deeply significant to me, though You allow a catastrophe to strike, I will not fear.  I will not blame, I will not doubt, and I will not question'."

Cease striving, and know that I am God.
                                                            Psalm 46:10

I cannot truly say that I've managed, at this time to conquer the "I will not question".  I truly hope that the Lord helps me conquer the questioning when He knows I am ready.  Right now, I'm just being the best Jan I know how to be and I know the Lord understands.

When you seek joy it comes in many forms and sometimes you don't even know it's happening until you're right in the middle or even after.  All of a sudden you say, hey, that brought me joy!

This week, joy, as with every week and every day is the example our son sets in Choosing Joy every single day no matter how difficult.  When I am feeling like I want to throw it all in I remember what he's dealing with and what he's facing, I slap myself on the back of the head and tell myself, for crying out loud pull yourself together.  You have nothing to complain about.  Choose Joy and get on with it. Joy comes in many forms, and now-a-days always includes the Troy 9.  I mean really, did you expect anything else?

Josie has spent many evenings with us this week.  And, if you know anything about Josie, after having read my blogs, you know that there is no way possible to not experience joy when you're with Josie! God has given us the gift of Joy through Josie and we thank Him every day.  One of these days, when she's older, we'll be able to share with her how just simply being Josie she brought us so much joy during this time in our lives when we didn't think it would be possible.  That's kinda how God works, you put forth the effort even when you don't think it's possible and God provides.

We've put together a "'princess" puzzle probably 50 times in the last two evenings.  We've made very special chocolate chip and decorated cookies for mom and dad.  We wanted to make them special so we put them on very special plates, decorated with glitter gel, added chocolate chips and slivered almonds.  Then, we needed to wrap them so we used plastic wrap to cover the plate at which point "we" had to have ribbon to wrap it all together.  At this point, Miss Josie discovered my cabinet that contains all of my ribbons!  Right now she only thinks one of the 25 boxes contains ribbon.  She doesn't know there are about 5 more!  She also hasn't discovered the rack of paints or all the goodies still not up on shelves.  I'm saving all that for another Joy Day with Josie! You can just imagine what we're going to create once we get all that stuff together.  I can't wait.

We've started a Hello Kitty sticker book.  I will have to say here though that there are more stickers on our microwave than in the Hello Kitty sticker book.  Oh, the fun doesn't stop there. We're watching movies...or at least we have one running while we're doing everything else.  HoHo and I gave all of our kids movies away as our nieces Allegra, Arianna and Alexis outgrew them so now we have to rebuild our library!  Can't say that's a bad thing! It's going to be fun and we're looking forward to it.

Yesterday I spent the day with Corey http://www.kjcg.com/the-firm/our-team/ and her team  on their monthly "field trip".  We all went to Jumping Jacks for hamburger and fries and then to an off-Broadway performance of  West Side Story at the Proctor Theater in Schenectady NY. http://www.proctors.org/events/west-side-story It was wonderful and being with that group of people brings joy.  They laugh, they love being together, they like doing things together and it's a special time monthly that they spend time (about 15 minutes or so) recognizing specific individuals for special accomplishments.  When someone is missing during these times, they are missed.  How great is that!


Tonight, we're going to the opening night at Steamer #10 Theater in Albany NY of Once Upon A Mattress

Oh, never fear, the chickens are still very active, wild turkeys are running through the yard and are being chased up into the trees by Biscuit.  This weekend is full of activities and birthday parties. The new fridge and stove, which is now in place, is working.  The floor still requires repairing but it's not like someone is going to fall through to the basement so it can wait.

Now, when I share this next story with you please remember that I "warn" Corey that when she shares stories with me it most likely becomes "fodder" for my blog.  This then should be no shock to her. (Jon might be another story though. But, he'll forgive me I'm sure.) I received this text from Corey last night while they were on their way back from she and Jon's "date night".  And this is a direct quote of the text....I didn't embellish!  Enjoy!


Corey: "OMG!!!! Jon just stuck his elbow in my ice-cream in the car while he was on a conference call.  I couldn't find a napkin, so I unwrapped a mini pad, pulled off the tape and cleaned up his arm with it.  He is mortified and I laughed so hard that I nearly peed my pants."


Until next time....



         

No comments: