Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Blue House

Blue Orchids at Home Depot
7:30 am, current temperature 63 degrees, humidity 93%...and so begins my day!

Yesterday was a gloriously gorgeous day and we were busy all day.  My favorite part of the day is when we take our, and I must say, frequent, breaks.  I have fresh iced-tea made and we sit in our eat-in kitchen and talk about our dreams and our heartaches, share together, be together, laugh together, cry together and be quiet together.


We accomplished tons yesterday, even with all the breaks, the chicken gate will be finished today, he needs several more brackets so we're headed to Home Depot this morning. I made serious headway in the studio, even got curtains hung, and now we're ready to make and put up a wall of shelves when we get back.  I organized the guest room so that I know where everything is to begin that project later this summer.  I did all those things that must be done prior to a trip so you don't come home to gnats and blue furry stuff in the fridge, did the laundry, changed the bed...all that fun stuff.  When we get back from Home Depot we'll turn on the fans, Ray will finish the chicken gate and I will get into some down and dirty housecleaning!

We had a great "skype" conversation with Aaron last night. It's so hard to believe.  I continue to have those odd, random, condemning thoughts but they disappear quickly when I remember as difficult as it was, with God's leading, he set this plan in motion.




Come on by share a glass!
Well, here I am at 3:06 pm EST taking an iced-tea break with hubby and puppy. Prior to intermission we made a trip to Home Depot, finished a chicken gate, vacuumed and dusted, two loads of laundry, and had lunch.  We're now taking a break from Ray being on his hands and knees cleaning the kitchen baseboards and kitchen floor and I'm scrubbing down the bathroom.  Tomorrow, chicken gate installation, final load of laundry, wipe out the fridge, give self pedicure, reconcile bank statement and set up Ray's Kindle he got for Father's Day so he'll have it for the trip.


About 20 years ago, while we were in Oakdale CA and Aaron was in Oregon he came down for a visit.  Oakdale is a great town, we loved it, but if you're 18, there really isn't a lot to do.  We had a doll house kit that I'd never gotten to so he set about putting it together.  It took him a couple of weeks and when he left for Oregon he asked me if I'd keep it for him until he could get it.  I said sure I'd do that.  I had an extensive doll collection at that time and it worked right in.  When later we went to Oregon Aaron asked if he could have the house and being the mom that I am, I said, "Absolutely NOT".  Possession is nine-tenths of the law.  The house is mine.  You built it, I'm keeping it.  He just grinned.  I am so thankful that little blue house is still in my possession.  Wherever we go that house reminds me of great times, my son's tenacity (evidently he didn't get that quality from me because I didn't even start the project), his love of building (and building goes far beyond the building with his hands), Aaron has always built with his heart.  He has always created with his heart whether it has been a friendship, a song, a painting, a drawing or "just being Aaron" as we told him every time he left the house. "Just be Aaron, son."  



But I digress. 

The Blue House
Today, I decided where I wanted the blue house here in our home in Troy.  For the first time that I can remember, it's in my kitchen. We are lucky enough to have an "eat-in" kitchen here so I put the blue house on the ledge above the cabinets looking down over "our vast domain".  From where I sit I can look at it and remember.  I wrote a poem about the Blue House years ago and I'd like to share it with you:




The Blue House

There's a blue house on the mantle
It holds a special place
It's filled with love and character
It's filled with warmth and grace.

It was made with hands so gentle
It was made with smiles and care
It holds a story of it's own
That's why it sits up there.

The blue house on the mantle
Will one day pass along
It will join the dolls collected
And to someone else belong.

As it sits there on the mantle
With it's face trimmed all in white
It smiles with gentle laughter
Through the day and into night.

The hands that made the blue house
\Never ever would have dreamed
That one day "she'd" adorn the mantel.
In a place befit a queen.

The blue house on the mantle
Was made by our dear son
The blue house on the mantle
There's one and only one.

It holds a very special place
Within this mother's heart
It holds a very happy time
Of which she was a part.

The son is now departing
To give life another try
To test the waters in this life
To question what and why.

As the blue house on the mantle
Sits quiet in its space
It reminds the mother of the son
Of his bright and smiling face.
by: jan Jamison, July 8, 1998

No comments: