Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July! Actually, Just Happy!

It's 9:45am on 4th of July 2011 and I have about 2,011 other things I could be doing but right now this is what I WANT to do so that's what I'm doing.  It's such a great feeling to be able to say and do that.  Retirement so far (5 months) is everything I dreamed it would be and more. 

I didn't get up yesterday until 9:30 am and by the time I finally got around and baked a cake (Which called for a trip to the store because somewhere I've "lost" a box containing my spices and baking essentials. It may have gotten carried to the basement with the tools.  How I have no idea but anything is possible when you're packing or unpacking.) it was time to leave. We spent yesterday afternoon with the Troy 9 beginning the makings of a fenced in yard outside the chicken coop for the chicks. They are growing quite rapidly.  They made their maiden trip outside in the yard late yesterday afternoon for about 20 minutes.  If you could have only seen and heard Corey as she's in the coop trying to get them to go outside and talking to them the entire time telling them she loves them and will protect them and they're going to be okay.  I later found out she didn't think she was talking to anyone could hear. I don't know if that's a good sign or a sign we should take her for a checkup. I mean, this is the woman who went to the feed store to buy chicken feed (and she did come home with the chicken feed).  

Jamison, Hunter  & the Chicks
She also came home with a "chicken kong".  (See the small yellow dot in the doorway?  That's the kong!) The kong is a hard rubber ball of toy that is hallow and you fill with treats and your dog has to work to get the treats.  She actually found one for chickens!  Only Corey could come home with a chicken kong!  The kids all discovered that the chicks love fresh earth worms.  That kept the kids pretty busy.


Today is a "down" morning just getting a few things done and then we're headed back to the Troy 9 to finish the fence and celebrate with friends this evening.  Fireworks are illegal in NY.  I don't know what those were in the night air last night but it wasn't a car back-firing. Not only is the thunder and lightening louder here but so are the fireworks!  The city does fireworks over the Hudson so we'll be able to see them from the backyard enjoying the pool and dinner of hot dogs, grilled cheese and maybe if we're all lucky, S'mores!  Sounds like a good plan to me.  Wish you were all here to enjoy it with me. There's joy here in Troy!  Just like  our son prayed there would be for us.  That makes me smile.


As far as the unpacking goes, we're just about there.  I found a hutch for my glassware on Craigslist for $25.  I'm changing out some of the lower door panel from solid wood to the metal grate that matches the other hutch for Ray's books.  I have one final piece I need for right now.  A small cabinet for Ray's old books and for our CDs and DVDs. I've expanded my search to Vermont which is only 30 minutes away. Yea! We should complete getting everything in place this week and then....a thorough cleaning.  We actually have more space here than we did on 6th Street. We haven't made use of the back deck yet, but Jamison sure has.  He sits out there for hours and watches all the animals and listens to all the sounds.  We fixed a place in front on the living room window where he can sit and watch outside too. 

Other plans in our future include a trip back to Springfield in July.  We not only want to visit with our son but we'd want to participate in Relay for Life on July 29th and 30th.  He's going to do his best to be there but events are getting more and more difficult for him to get to let alone participate in.  We've been there every year and it's an event we intend to continue every year as long as we are physically able.  This year's relay is at Willamette High School and begins on July 29th at noon and ends July 30th at noon.  If you get a chance, or can plan to come and walk a lap or two it would be great to see you and walk a lap or two with you or just visit for awhile.  Anyway, that's where I'll be on the 29th and 30th.  Kristin and Aaron's team is "Choose Joy".  http://www.blogger.com/post-create.g?blogID=8060669556593902972

The flag has always been an important symbol in our household.  Aaron has always loved flags and the red, white and blue.  Happy 4th of July son! We've always remembered the men and women who have left their loved ones and put their lives in jeopardy or died serving our country so that we can live this life that we love. Thank you to all of you who have served or are serving so that I might enjoy this time in my life and enjoy the freedoms that I have.  Enjoy a blessed day of freedom and remember those who are away from their families protecting our borders so that we have another day of freedom.  Happy 4th of July!







No comments: