Friday, July 1, 2011

Hey, Wake Up! It's July Already!

A beautiful July 1st morning.  Although I don't see it as early as I use to I still enjoy it once I open my eyes.  Looking forward today to having another day at home to continue the "move in process".  I finally have a dining room with NO boxes.  I'm piecing together a very eclectic house which I just love.  I'm not a matchy-matchy person.  If I like it I use it.  The theme that does run through my home, and when I say my home I mean our home!  But, this is my blog:)  The item you will see throughout in many size, shapes and forms are roosters and chickens. I've collected many things over the years as the decor changed: butterflies, ducks, apples, moose but I've settled on roosters and chickens.  I guess for me the reason is that my grandmother and mother both had them in their homes.My mother still has them in her home.   My dad seemed to always had the live ones.  He'd buy dozens of baby chicks every year, he'd say for the kids and grand kids, but I think mostly because he loved to nurture and raise them.  He'd start out with a huge corrugated carton, a light, some feed and water and some hay or straw.  While the chicks grew he prepared the chicken coop.  Finally we had laying hens, a rooster and fresh eggs every day.  Usually plenty of eggs for us and anyone else that needed any.  Now, the Troy 9 have their chickens and how much fun they are having.  I have several of my grandmother's chickens, many of my mom's and many that I have collected and have been given to me.  So although I have many pieces of eclectic furniture I do have a continuous theme running through it all, kinda French Country.  I'll take pictures once I get more into place.  Yesterday was a big turning point. I mean, two room with no boxes.  Holy moly, how great is that!

I couldn't do any of this without my hubby Ray.  He's worked for a week now to get the laundry room in working order and the washer and dryer hooked up and the plumbing in working order.  Three trips to the laundromat was all it took for me to have a completely new appreciation for having an in-house washer and dryer.  Do they match?  They're both Whirlpool!  Are they new and fancy?  Hey, they get the clothes clean and dry.  What else is really necessary! 

Last night is the first night we didn't have to do a strategic course in our bedroom to get to the bathroom during the night.  All boxes are gone.  Each day as I go to put something away I have to figure out some cleaver way to make it all work. Yesterday I came across a stack of our winter afghans etc.  Where to put those?  So, I removed my shoes from the wicker trunk in my closet for the afghan and bought a shoe rack for the inside of my closet door for my shoes.  If I come up with more than 18 pair of shoes I'll be thinning them out yet again.  But hey, I don't know why I have that many shoes here anyway.  We live in flip-flops until the snow hits.  You have run-of-the-mill flip-flops for every day and you have "glitzy" flip flops for special events.  That's it.  My kinda life. 

We have three bedrooms here.  Two have closets that are 4' in width. Now the house we had on 6th Street had a 12' closet in the master bedroom and a 6' closet in each of the other two bedrooms.  This has been a challenge but you know what.  We're making it work.  We've put the clothes that we wear everyday during the summer in our closets.  We purchased a portable, zip-up closet downstairs and hung our winter clothes there along with bins for our winter sweaters and everything else.  Come winter we'll just switch out.

Ray and I miss Aaron and Kristin terribly but thank heaves for the invention of Skype.  We talk with Aaron every day but it is so much fun every other day or so when we get to Skype and actually see his face and have a conversation with him. As you've probably seen on his Facebook page, he's in tremendous pain most of the time and they've had to increase his medications.  He's in a wheelchair if they go out for any length of time as usual, that doesn't slow him down very much.  He's planning on going to Relay for Life at the end of July.  Ray and I usually participate but we won't be there this year.  If anyone is able to go and participate and walk with their team that would be wonderful.  Kristin is leading their team.  A fundraiser, Relay for Laffs
(Improv Comedy That May Save Your Life) is scheduled for Saturday, July 9th.  Here's the link for details. 
  http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=235639549788008

Aaron's not going to be able to participate in the event, but he will be there.  If you get a chance to go please take the opportunity. This group's improv is always great and it's for a super great cause.


I miss family and friends on the West coast but I hope you are all doing well.  When you get a moment now and then jot an email at princessofsantis@gmail.com or call.  I would love to hear from you.  I will admit, calling can be a challenge here.  We live in an area where coverage is spotty and calls do drop off but we can always make it work. Have a super great day, I am!

No comments: