Thursday, October 6, 2011

Hello Son - We're OK

Okay son, tomorrow morning at 6:15 am we head back to Springfield OR for your  Memorial Service.You made it very, very clear that you wanted this to be a celebration of life as opposed to a "formal", sorrowful event. So, with that in mind I'm packing jeans, t-shirts and flip-flops.  It's taking all the will power your dad has NOT to pack a suit and tie.  I may end up having to tie him down.  About the only way I was able to convince him was that we're only packing the smallest suitcase we own and we're NOT taking a garment bag.  I don't even want to take the laptop but I can just hear you whispering over my shoulder, "you'll be sorry!".  I don't plan on having enough time to be on the computer.  I can log onto Face Book via my Kindle.  If you were here I could find out if I have the capability to log onto GMail, but given that you're not speaking to me right now, guess I'll have to figure it out myself.  I will say that you have left dad and I pretty well off when it comes to knowledge about our computer and our electronics.  For dad, the electronics knowledge come pretty easy because he has a lot of historical knowledge.  For me, I'm learning as I go, but you'll be happy to know, I'm learning.

I don't have any idea what to expect as far as your memorial service.  I bet there are going to be a lot of people.  You have many, many friends son, and they all love you very much.  You've made quite an impact here on this earth.  Dad and I are very proud of you.  I know that for the last month or so it was very difficult for you to hear us say that we were proud of you.  Since you're with the Master now, I hope you know and understand what we were saying when we said we were proud of you.  You never fell short of our expectations; in most cases, you exceeded them.  Never in my wildest dreams, and yes, I am your mother, but I've had some wild ones too!

I know that you are pleased that Kristin is doing well.  We all have our moments, as to be expected, but she's holding together and getting things done.  There continue to be many miracles, as you can probably see, but I'll tell you anyway. 

Today, Staples recognized your picture on the memorial program Kristin took in for printing and gave Kristin half off the cost and folded them for free.  Later when Kristin went in to pick them up she was told that "a friend" had come by and paid the balance.  



Your friend Mike Peterson and his wife Molly had a healthy baby boy.  They named him Aaron Bruce.  Aaron as a tribute to you.  What a tribute to you and the message you carried.  Mike Petersen In Mike's own words,
"Our boy will grow up knowing the great man he was named after and will learn to Choose Joy. Anyone who's asked in the past 9 months knows that I wanted a less-common name, but the opportunity to honor a dear friend and incredible human could not be passed up. Did God have Aaron wait to die for our baby? I think possibly so."
 Now don't get a big head.  I just want you to know that your legacy of Choosing Joy is being carried forward.
As I said, dad and I are headed out in the morning for Springfield. When Gawker heard that dad and I couldn't make the trip for your memorial service because we had chosen to visit with you in July and participate in the Relay for Life with you, several airlines offered to fly us out, round-trip, for the service.  The best options were offered through Southwest Airlines.  What a blessing this is.  We're so very appreciative and know that you would be so pleased. Corey is coming with us.  
Just as you planned, Corey, Jon and the kids have been right there through all of this.  The kids have turned out to be the best blood pressure medicine either of us could take.  Dad went to the doctor yesterday and his blood pressure was back to normal.  The doctor said he didn't know what he was doing, but just keep right on doing it  We went over and had your favorite, breakfast for dinner last night; eggs, buttermilk biscuits and bacon.  Boy, the biscuits came out beautiful.  I thought of you as I was making them.  I'm really glad son that I have someone else to make them for that enjoy them so much.  I mean really, how many biscuits can dad eat in one setting?  Don't answer that.  
Any-hoo, we'll get into Portland between 2:00-2:30pm tomorrow afternoon.  Don't know exactly what time we'll get into Springfield.  Kristin would like to visit and have dinner tomorrow night.  We'll see what we can do.  Saturday morning I'm going to meet some of my friends at Gateway Mall Food Court about 10:30 am for coffee and a visit.  Don't know who's coming, I just ask them to put the word out and whoever shows up shows up.  I know it will be fun no matter what and I'm looking forward to sharing some stories about you, and laughing.  We did have some great fun didn't we son? I love the memories of our times together. 
I'll miss you when I paint pottery.  I'll miss you when I'm making biscuits. I'll miss you making inanimate objects talk.  I'll miss your quick wit.  I'll miss your hugs.  I'll miss your hand-made cards.  I'll miss your singing.  I'll miss your help in the kitchen.  I'll miss your smile.  I'll miss your laugh.  I'll miss your jokes (such as they were...just kidding). I'll miss watching cartoons with you.  I'll miss you trying to teach me.  I'll miss making t-shirts with you.  I'll miss working in the studio with you. I'll miss taking trips with you.  I'll miss you!
Dad and I neither one know quite what to expect at your memorial service.  I must say I'm a little apprehensive.  Just about the time I think I've worked through all the tears, something sets them off again.  I don't want to cry the whole time we're there.  I want to be able to share the time with friends and share some more with them about how much I love you and what a great friend you were. Dad and I will never get over that you're not here with us but we will do all in our power to live up to what you dreamed of for us.  It's going to be difficult at first, already is.  Every time the phone rings we both say, "I'll bet that's Aaron".  It's going to take some time for us get it all together, but because of your dream and planning, we are in the right place.  Your desire to have us here in Troy and settled was a good one, although not an easy one for any of us.  But, in coming back here this summer we were able to get settled, create a home to come back to, make new friends and get acquainted with our community.  We have a home to come back to because of your dream.  Thank you for the gift you gave us.
Home
We're coming back home on Sunday.  Jamison is staying with his friend Sammy while were gone.  He was so excited when they came to pick him up he just ran outside and jumped into the car.  He wouldn't even give Katryn time to sit down and visit a minute.  It's really difficult to have him gone this evening though.  It's lonesome with him gone and you gone.  I get lonesome for you son.
Please know that you are never out of our thoughts.  I'll be writing you notes from time to time to tell you how things are going. I love you son. You were the joy in my life while God shared you with me. Now, may you always experience the joy of the Lord in heaven.  I'll be very interested to see the task God set before you in heaven.  My mom use to tell me I'd get to do some ironing in heaven because I hated doing it so much.  Hope you're getting to do something more exciting than that!
Dad and I are going to be okay.
Love, Mom




1 comment:

Renee said...

Loving you today and every day, Aunt Jan and Uncle Ray. Love, Renee