Wednesday, October 19, 2011

It's All Good

Hey son, thought of you Sunday. Think of you everyday actually but especially on Sunday's. We waited for your 3pm Sunday afternoon call. I can't imagine what we would have done if you'd actually called!

Dad and I are getting stronger all the time.  I do shed some selfish tears now and then, but get use to it.  It's going to continue for awhile, especially during the next several months.  It was a very busy week last week but it was an awesome week.  It turned out that last week Diane was on vacation. Corey Jon's Diane that is, not your Auntie Di.  You probably already figured that out though.  Let me tell you, that woman works! Not Corey, Diane.  Well, Corey works too of course, but I'm talking about Diane here. Not your Auntie Di, Corey and Jon's Diane.  Got that? You should have, it sounds like one of your sentences.  I miss you son.  Dad misses you.  We'd kinda be weird parents if we didn't wouldn't we?  But, so many times this last week especially, through some very odd mediums, we've come to realize more and more what a wonderful gift you gave us in asking that not visit you in the hospital.  The memories we have of you are wonderful; you laughing, joking, talking together, watching movies together, sharing dinner, staying with you Kristin and Belle, talking about memories.  Just super great memories that we will cherish forever.  We're thankful as we watch a movie or news reports and see parents torn to pieces because of the last horrific memory of their child.  Because of your love, we don't have that picture in our heads.  Thank you!

Ok, 'nuf said on that subject.  For now anyway. (I know you're laughing!)


As I said, this last week was a pepper of a week.  We picked up kids, delivered kids, sat with kids, sat on kids (not really) watched movies with kids, took care of sick kids, played with kids and attended birthday parties with kids.  You name it, we did it and loved every minute of it.  Corey thought it might be too much for us since we had just come back from your memorial service, but it was the best thing we could have done.  It kept us so busy we didn't have time to breathe let alone think.  I did however, somehow, work in time to bake a double batch of Snickerdoodle Cookies. Could you smell them baking? Dylan wants another batch of Skittle Cookies for his October birthday coupon so those will be in the making soon.
Snickerdoodle Cookies
1 c. shortening (part butter)
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 c. flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
Mix first 3 ingredients thoroughly. Blend next 4 ingredients together; stir together with first mixture. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Roll in sugar- cinnamon mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet. These cookies puff up at first, then flatten out. Bake at 400 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.

Josie and her pumpkin
One of the things we got to do this last weekend was take Josie to a birthday party for one of her classmates.  A party of 10 three and four year olds.  The party was held at a park in Albany.  I don't think any of those little girls stopped moving from the minute their feet hit the ground.  They slid down slides, ran, rode on "cars", ran, slid down slides, ran, had cupcakes, decorated pumpkins and had apple juice.  The weather held until about the last 15 minutes of the party and then it began to rain. It was just as well, they were all just about run out.  After the ride home Josie walked into the house and said, "Aunt Jan, let's play Polly Pockets!"  Josie, are ya kiddin' me? Isn't it nap time?  She informed dad last week that she was through taking naps from now on.  I don't think Corey and Jon share that same idea.

It's a beautiful Fall day out today but the wind is really strong.  It didn't stop dad from taking Jamison on his daily walk though.  Speaking of walks, Corey and Team Kaleel walked 40 miles this weekend for the Breast Cancer Cause in New York.  Next year, I'm walking with them. Corey's going to have to help me get in shape.  Dad and I will be participating in Relay for Life here next year in June.  It's held at the Bruno Stadium in Troy, or one event is anyway.  Relay for Life, Troy NY

Do you hear us laugh son?  We're beginning to laugh again.  Sometimes it feels really weird.  I stop at think, my son just died, I shouldn't be laughing.  Then I think, yes I should because the last thing Aaron would want is for anyone to be sitting around moping.  Which also means, I need to get up and get off my duff and get busy around here.  
Life is good here son.  We are surrounded by family and friends.  One of the daily things I miss the most about you being gone is the daily banter and laughter. I loved hearing from you every day and joking with you; hearing about your day or what was or wasn't happening in your life.  I wonder, do other sons and moms have that type of daily memory.  I sure hope so.  It's really one of the things I will cherish the most.   Can you hear the laughter going on here?  I mean, there's so much.  We really never have a day without smiles and laughter. I am so thankful you are experiencing joy and laughter.

Behr's Tart Apple
You'll be happy to know that the studio is finally coming together.  I painted the two green walls today. I'm lovin' it!  Tomorrow, two white walls & paint white shelving.  The remainder of the week I'll clean the wood floor,  hang my black and white rooster drapes and move the studio in.  Now that one final step, moving the studio in, is going to be a process.  What I'm hoping for is that by Monday next week, I'll be in business. Dad says we'll make it. I'm taking him at his word. 


You'll also be happy to know that Jamison helped paint today too.  With his head, note, butt and feet!  I turned my back on that little turkey propped his feet up on the wall heater, which was west with green paint, got down, rubbing his tail end on the wall, walked across the wood floor with his green feet and proceeded to "hunt" for a mouse under the heater (there was no mouse he just wanted to hunt) and had green paint all over his nose and face.  What a mess he was. I carried him to the kitchen sink and managed to get him cleaned up, put him down and the little turkey headed right back to the studio.  I caught him just in time.  Another mess diverted!

Until next time, mom

1 comment:

Rita said...

What a full, wonderful life you and Ray have in Troy. It gives me such great joy to reach about your adventures. I love you both so much. Rita