Saturday, July 10, 2010

JAMISON MUNCHIE JAMISON


Jamison Munchie Jamison


Ya ever say that you're never going to do something no matter what and end up doing it anyway? Sure you do. All of us do for a variety of reasons. Some times it turns out just as badly as you had thought. Sometimes it turns out better than you could have ever imagined.
Jamison Munchie Jamison is exactly one of those cases. Over the years we've had dogs and even a cat. It always ended up with mom taking care of the animal for one reason or another. We also moved a lot because of work and it was just too difficult to deal with an animal, or that was my rationalization anyway. If you had to go on vacation you had to find someone to care for the animal. They're a lot of work. Right on all counts. But, when the right one finds you, there is nothing better. Now I'll admit that I tolerated friends talking about their pets, showing pictures of their pets and expounding on the antics of their pets. I couldn't imaging any pet bringing that much joy into anyone's life. Believe me, I think half the people in the organization where I work are dog lovers. I heard a lot of stories every week.

My hubby had a very clear understanding about how I felt about having a dog again. Having a dog in the house? You've got to be kidding. Now I grew up in the country and my grandpa raised Cocker Spaniels. We loved those little puppies when they were born and hated to see them leave each time. We had cows, ducks, geese, donkeys, chickens and dogs. But, all animals were outside animals.

Every once in awhile the subject of having another dog would come up and my same hesitations were there. I'm still working and knew I didn't have time to take care of a dog too. Not long after our son Aaron got married he and Kristin adopted a puppy. Belle is the best, sweetest dog you'd ever want to meet. She quickly adopted hubby as Grandpa. Not long after, hubby got that gleam in his eye again and, to make matters worse, our daughter-in-law, Kristin works at an animal clinic, is with animals all day and would adopt everyone she could. So, she starts sending pictures and links of dogs and puppies to hubby and he starts looking. He kept forwarding things to me and I tried not to look, but you know how well that works. Finally one day he called and said he had found one (1 yr old) that he'd really like to go look at. It was a Friday, I was pooped (excuse the pun) and the last thing I wanted to do was go look at a dog when I knew we weren't going to get one. Hubby asked that I think about why he wanted one. He wanted the company. He's been retired for a few years and I'm still working and he really wanted the company....so, I went. But spouting "conditions" the entire ride there. We can't afford one, what if it gets sick, what if we want to take a trip, what if, what if, what if. I finally said, "ok fine, but if you decide on this dog. it's yours. I don't want anything to do with it, you take care of it and it's your responsibility." We arrived, were invited into the home, asked to have a seat and this extremely energetic, dark eyed, black curly mass jumped up into my lap. I was a gonner.


Our lives will forever be better because of this little jewel God put in our lives. He's a wonder. We cannot imagine life without him. He goes with hubby everywhere (except now when it's too hot in the afternoons). Hubby walks him, "poops" him, feeds him, takes him to the groomer, takes him to the vet, makes sure he has his heart guard but when "mom" comes home, "that's all she wrote", he's my dog. He can't wait to show me a toy or a bone he's been saving or play a tug game or climb in my lap to get his back scratched. I love this little guy, and he loves me....he loves hubby too and hubby loves having him around. It's been great all way round. Oh, and he's a house dog too! I didn't think I'd ever see the day when I had a dog in the house, but where else would he be? He brings so much joy to our lives. I think he even has me beat when it comes to being stubborn. (Don't laugh, that is possible!)

Sometimes in life you just need to take a chance. You never know what joy it might bring.



1 comment:

Kristin Hawke said...

I'm glad I could be such a bad influence. I'm so glad you guys found each other. He is a great member of the family.