Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Reality Is

Just heard someone say, "it's a reality show". I don't think anything better describes life right now. Every single thing is reality. Some of it not too pretty, but some of it pretty great if I really stop and look. It was a difficult day at chemo for Aaron today, but, I got to spend a couple of hours with him after. And reality is, any time I get to spend with him is super great.

We have a "new" HR department at work. New meaning that 3 of the 6 of us are new since last November. The reality is, it was a long wait but well worth the waiting. We have a super great team. We work together, laugh together and cry together when necessary. We share and support each other. Tomorrow we're having an HR "Luau" Open House to introduce our full team and let our co-workers throughout the organization know who in HR is responsible for what. To let them know we are there for them...and have some great fun too. We did the final planning this morning. The reality is, it's a whole lot of work. However, the reality also is, we're going to have a ball doing it. I just spent 3 hours baking cake. Hawaiian Wedding Cake...no, no wedding that I know of until October, but it was a great and easy recipe and fit the occasion...better than a carrot cake from COSTCO this time. It's full of pineapple, coconut and macadamian nuts. Woo-hoo! It was a lot of work. The reality is, it was work I love doing. I love to bake and make candy so it really wasn't work. A little odd to have the oven on for 2 hours in this heat. But, raw cake? Not so good!

Life is great isn't it. It doesn't always, actually it never, comes out perfect. But, it's wonderful to have each day that we can choose what we want to do and be. We even have tons more choices today than we did 5 years ago. The technology is wonderful. Because I had to leave early today I was able to ship documents home that need to be completed on Friday. I just emailed them back to myself to work so I can complete the final draft tomorrow. All while baking cakes and doing what I love.

Reality is, I love life. I don't always like what's happening in it. But life in general is pretty darn great. Reality keeps me true to myself. I don't have time to play games or not be sincere. Right now, I don't know what tomorrow brings with my son, but the reality is I'm going to make every single second with him count.

No comments: