Sunday, July 18, 2010


"Prenuptial", a topic of conversation on the TODAY Show Saturday morning. Some of the discussion sent me on a "trail of my own". They talked about how the up-coming generations considering the marriage examples of the baby-boomer generation and how they are deciding they don't want to be caught the same way. I hope, after nearly 40 years of marriage, that the example of marriage that I am leaving is a good one. I would hope that when a couple marry they really are able to look around them and say, wow, "for better or for worse, in sickness and in health" that really means something. Not, wow, before we go into this we'd better plan on how we're going to get out of it.

I would hope, as a member of the baby-boomer generation, I have set a better example than that.

Now I don't want anyone to head in the wrong direction with this post. I'm not really talking about prenuptials and whether they are right or wrong. This is not a post about what you may or may not have done. This is a post about what I hope I have done and am doing in my life. Every single person has a right to carve their own path and relationships in this world. Good, bad or indifferent, I've carved my own. What I'm talking about here is the example that I have set and hope I am setting for the younger generations to come. I would hope that the example that I am leaving is one of love, joy, commitment, hope, sharing, trust, giving more than I get, tenacity and forgiveness. These are some of the examples I want generations, current and future, to see from my example.

I'm not perfect, far from it. I make mistakes every single day, but my goal in life, as I stumble through it, is to leave this world better than I found it.And I'll tell you something, I found the world in pretty good shape when I showed up. I've had excellent examples from which to watch, learn and grow.

I've thought about this quite a bit through the years, these "living examples" and two of the best have been my mom and dad. Dad is gone now but there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about some example he left for me. My mom is 81 now and she continues to be a living example that anyone would do well to follow. My mom is a very gracious woman who has the most generous spirit I have ever known. When I look in the mirror and see resemblances of her there, or when I hear myself talking and I say , "I sound just like my mother", that's a very good thing.


LIVING EXAMPLES - Jan Jamison
I've watched many lives over the years and the fates that they have met.
I've pondered why and wherefore, through doubts and fears and fret.
I've looked for that example that I always knew was there
Of how to pattern my daily walk, to eventually end up "somewhere".
The world sets standards of wealth and fame that few can barely meet
But the Master has a fail-proof plan if I but study at His feet.
I've finally found my example of the "fruits" I'd like to bear
Of the service I'd like to render and the blessings I'd like to share.
The Lord has given it to me before He gave me life
In parents who would love me, as they struggled with daily life.
I've watched them live their lives, in a manner pleasing God
No matter what the personal cost, no matter where they trod.
In all the Lord provided, they shared with all who came
Never for reward, and certainly not for fame.
They never had a bank account or wealth the eye could see
But both their lives exemplify, the person I strive to be.




Thanks Dad & Mom!

No comments: